School Board Makes New Principal Appointments
Approves Schematic Design for New Elementary School at Reed
At its August 2 meeting, the School Board appointed two new principals and one new assistant principal for the 2018-19 school year. All three appointees have 20 years or more of experience in education and a commitment to excellence for all students. They include:
- Dr. Eileen Gardner, Principal at Nottingham Elementary School – currently the Assistant Principal at McKinley Elementary, Gardner has more than 23 years of experience in education, 20 of which have been with APS. She focuses on empowering teachers and staff to be creative in their teaching and building strong collaborative learning teams to ensure educational excellence for all.
- Carlos Ramirez, Principal at Randolph Elementary School – previously Assistant Principal at Claremont Elementary, Ramirez has 20 years of education experience and joined APS in 2013 as a dual-language teacher at Claremont Immersion School. He has earned a reputation throughout the division as a strong leader who advocates for multicultural awareness and fosters collaboration with staff and families.
- Jody Osler, Assistant Principal of Williamsburg Middle School – is the current Instructional Lead Teacher for Social Studies at Williamsburg and has 20 years of teaching experience at the middle school level, both in the United States and abroad. Osler is known as a problem-solver who collaborates effectively with staff at all levels and demonstrates strong passion for producing the best outcomes for all students.
The Board also approved the schematic design for the new elementary school that will be built at the Reed site. The renovations will add 725 seats and will be ready for the start of the 2021 school year. The full presentation is available online.
- Charge and Membership Appointments for the Education Center Renovation Building Level Planning Committee – Staff presented the proposed charge and membership appointments to the Education Center Renovation Building Level Planning Committee (BLPC).
- Revisions to Select Human Resources School Board Policies – Staff presented proposed revisions to HR policies regarding leave and other benefits.
Additional information on these items is available on BoardDocs.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:The School Board will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thursday, August 30 at 7 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.