During last night’s meeting, the School Board received a report on the student participation in Work-Based Learning experiences, as well as APS’ plans to strengthen and expand those opportunities. APS staff highlighted the role of Career and Technical Education (CTE) in achieving APS’ Strategic Plan goals to provide multiple pathways to success and build strong partnerships with non-profit, business and government organizations.
The presentation included a review of future plans to promote Arlington Tech and CTE opportunities for students within APS and expand partnerships with additional businesses that may provide quality internships and other work-based learning opportunities.
The full presentation is available on BoardDocs.
Graduation Task Force Report
The School Board also received an update from the APS Graduation Task Force on APS’ approach to prevent dropouts. Strategies discussed include targeted interventions, Arlington Tiered System of Support (ATSS), Dropout Prevention Team Support and efforts to strengthen multiple instructional and graduation pathways. To read the full report, click here.
- 2018-19 Internal Audit Work Plan – The Board approved the proposed 2018-19 Internal Audit Work Plan, including work to increase resource efficiency and effectiveness; to continue to evaluate and compare new school construction costs in Arlington to comparable school districts; and to review Student Transportation required by Individualized Education Plans (IEP) or Federal law.
- Revisions to School Board Policy I-7.5 Adult Community Education – The Board adopted proposed changes to School Board Policy I-7.5 Adult Community Education which focuses on extending learning opportunities to the broader Arlington community.
- Proposed School Board Policy J-15.8 Acceptance of Electronic Signatures and Records – Staff presented the proposed new School Board Policy J-15.8 Acceptance of Electronic Signatures and Records for Board consideration. Read more here.
- Drew Deed of Re-subdivision, Exchange Agreement and Deed of Lease – Staff presented the proposed Drew Deed of re-subdivision, exchange agreement and deed of lease. Read more here.
- Contract Award for the Solar Photovoltaic Rooftop System Power Purchase Agreement – Staff presented the proposed contract award for the Solar Photovoltaic Rooftop System Power purchase agreement, for future installation at five initial sites: Fleet Elementary, Jefferson Middle School, Kenmore Middle School, Tuckahoe Elementary and Washington-Lee High School. Read more here.
The School Board recognized Col. Scott Dierlam for receiving the Airforce Junior ROTC Outstanding Instructor Award, which honors individuals who have distinguished themselves through outstanding instruction and service to their school and community.The Board also viewed a preview of the Telenovela Program, a collaborative effort between Special Education Services, School and Community Relations and Arlington Educational Television (AETV). Telenovela is a film project that seeks to engage Spanish-speaking families on important special education topics in a relatable, culturally relevant way. It will debut later this school year.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
The School Board will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thursday, November 8 at 7 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.