School Board Meeting Notes – June 6, 2019
At last night’s meeting, the School Board took action on the following:
- Approved the costs for the renaming of Washington-Lee High School. The new name, Washington-Liberty High School, goes into effect July 1. Approved costs include new signage, uniforms, equipment and other items, totaling $224,360.
- Approved the Contract Award for Arlington Tech Summer 2019 Construction project. The School Board authorized staff to award multiple tasks to two construction companies using pre-approved funds to meet the project schedule.
The School Board also discussed the following:
- The Superintendent approved Eunice Kennedy Shriver Program as the new name for the Stratford Program, effective for the 2019-20 school year, when the program relocates to The Heights Building in Rosslyn, along with H-B Woodlawn. Principal Karen Gerry and Stratford Parent/Renaming Committee Member Lee White presented the recommendation.
- Teaching & Learning staff provided a monitoring report on special education student demographics and progress toward the 2018-24 Strategic Plan goals. Staff also provided a status on the special education evaluation report, which will be finalized in September 2019.
- The Advisory Council on Instruction (ACI) provided an end-of-year report on 2018-19 recommendations, steps and key topics covered during the school year.
- The Internal Audit Department presented the annual internal audit report that includes a summary of the construction cost study and assessment related to growth and expansion.
- Facilities & Operations presented several Information Items, including the proposed Charge for the Arlington Career Center Expansion Building Level Planning Committee (BLPC).
- Recognitions: The School Board recognized:
- Junior ROTC cadets and graduates
- More than 25 APS retirees
- Student Advisory Board Chair Kyle‐David Byrne (Wakefield), Vice‐Chair Hamna Shafiq (W‐L), and Secretary Abby Dhakal (Career Center)
- HR Updates: The School Board and Superintendent discussed HR updates, including:
- Staffing placements
- Dr. Tara Nattrass’ resignation as Assistant Superintendent of Teaching & Learning, effective June 30, 2019. Chair Reid Goldstein thanked Dr. Nattrass for her contributions as an exceptional instructional leader and role model, and for setting her team up for success to carry the work forward in the future.
- Paul Jamelske’s move from Director of Special Education to Assistant Principal of Washington-Liberty beginning in the 2019-20 school year.
Next School Board Meetings
- Tuesday, June 18 at 7 p.m. – Final Regular School Board Meeting of 2018-19
- Monday, July 1 at 9 a.m. – Organizational Meeting