The Arlington School Board’s September schedule of Board Meetings, Work Sessions, and Advisory Council and Committee Meetings is now available. This schedule is subject to change with advance notice provided on the APS website. For more information, contact the School Board Office at 703-228-6015.
During in-person meetings, the Board will comply with health and safety guidelines. At this time, masks are optional while indoors.
September School Board Meetings
For the 2022-23 school year, the Board will accept public comment using the call-in service or in-person.
- Public Comment on Agenda and Non-Agenda items will be heard at the beginning of the meeting and will be limited to 1 hour.
- At each meeting, the Board will hear from a maximum of 30 speakers, and each speaker will have up to 2 minutes to comment.
- 20 slots will be reserved for speakers to sign up online in advance.
- Speakers will have the option to select to speak in person or use the call-in service.
- The speaker form will be posted four business days before the Board meeting and remain open until 4 p.m., two business days before the meeting.
- A lottery process will be used to select speakers if more requests than available slots are received.
- Email confirmations will be sent to speakers 24 hours before the Board meeting.
- New this school year: 10 slots will be reserved for speakers to sign up onsite between 6:15 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. before the School Board meeting. School Board meetings begin at 7 p.m.
- No speaker forms will be accepted before 6:15 p.m. or after 6:45 p.m. No exceptions.
- Speaker forms will be available outside the Board room. Completed forms must be returned to the Deputy Clerk.
- Speakers will be heard in the order their sign-up form was received.
- The Board will hear comments in the following order- advance online sign-ups (call-in, then in-person) and onsite sign-ups.
- Students will be heard first, regardless of their sign-up order.
- Agendas and background information are posted one week prior to the Board Meeting on BoardDocs
- For additional details, review the School Board Guidelines for Public Comment During School Board Meetings and Hearings (adopted July 1, 2022)
- This information will be posted at https://www.apsva.us/school-board-meetings/sign-up-to-speak/
Thu, September 8 School Board Meeting
Thu, September 22 School Board Meeting
School Board Work Sessions
Work Sessions begin at 6:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. All Work Sessions are live-streamed for online viewing here. The first Work Session for the 2022-23 School Year will be on Oct. 11.
School Board Open Office Hours
For the 2022-2023 school year, the School Board will hold virtual Open Office Hours twice a month. Open Office Hours is a forum for Board members to listen to comments and concerns and to allow community members to speak to Board members on various topics. Information on how to sign-up will be posted on the APS homepage and sent via APS School Talk on the Friday before the scheduled Open Office Hours. Guidelines to participate in Open Office Hours and the upcoming schedule are posted on the Open Office Hours webpage.
Mon, September 19 School Board Open Office Hours with Mary Kadera
School Board Advisory Councils and Committees
The School Board seeks the advice of community members through a wide range of advisory committees and councils. These advisory committees and councils are appointed by the School Board to advise the Board and, when appropriate, make recommendations on issues or policies related to the successful operation of the school system.
For more information on applying for a committee or meetings schedule, visit the APS Website.