For the 2020-21 school year, Arlington Public Schools (APS) will provide families the opportunity to select the instructional delivery method that works best for their student(s), due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. APS is expected to be in Phase 3 of Virginia’s reopening plan when school resumes in August, so students will not be able to safely return to school buildings on a normal, full-time schedule due to CDC physical distancing guidelines. As a result, APS will provide two instructional delivery methods for families to choose from – hybrid in-person with physical distancing or full-time distance learning – when school resumes.
Families will have until July 20 at 5 p.m. to select one of the two instructional delivery methods. If families do not select one of the two options by the deadline, their selection will automatically default to the hybrid instructional delivery model. It is important that families select one of the instructional delivery methods by the deadline so schools can begin planning for both full-time distance learning and in-person class schedules.
Instructional Delivery Methods
The two instructional delivery choices for the start of the 2020-21 school year are as follows:
- Hybrid In-School and Distance Learning– Students will participate in two consecutive in-person instruction days per week combined with three days per week of independent (asynchronous) distance learning.
- Full-Time Distance Learning– Students will participate in full-time distance learning, including both interactive, teacher-led (synchronous) instruction and asynchronous instruction.
Additional details on the instructional delivery methods and sample school schedules are available on the Return to School Planning webpage.
Student Schedules & Instructional Delivery Method Changes
Decisions regarding schedules and student group assignments for each school will be made centrally based on student enrollment and multiple factors. Siblings will be assigned to the same in-school schedule to simplify family arrangements, when possible. Details regarding student assignments and scheduling will be finalized and communicated in August once family selections are received and processed.
Students will remain in their selected instructional delivery method while the state and Virginia schools are in Phase 3 of the reopening plan. Families will be unable to change the instructional delivery method they selected before school resumes on August 31, 2020 to allow APS to effectively plan schedules, staffing and other details in preparation for a strong start to the new school year. After that time, any requests for changes will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis determined by school and bus capacity and school staffing levels.
Due to the state’s physical distancing guidelines, buses will only be able to transport approximately 11 students at a time. As a result, buses may need to make several trips back and forth to school to get all students eligible for transportation to and from school. In order to reduce the number of students APS will transport, some elementary walk zones will expand to areas close to schools. APS will establish (distanced) walking school buses and bicycle trains at schools to support the expanded elementary walk zones.
To help buses move quickly between trips to and from school, all option schools will start using hub stops and some bus stops for neighborhood schools will be consolidated. APS will also establish remote car drop-off locations near schools to give buses easy access to school entrances to drop off students quickly and begin the next bus trip to return students in time for their instructional day.
As a part of the return to school process, APS is requesting that families not only select their instructional delivery method for the start of the school year, but their transportation choice as well. For transportation-eligible students, please select if student(s) will ride the bus. If they will not ride the bus when school resumes, please select the mode of transportation that will be used. When families log in to ParentVUE, they will be able to select their choices.
Accessing ParentVUE (View Selection Instructions)
Families will need to complete the following steps in ParentVUE to select their choices for the instructional delivery method and transportation questions:
- Log in to ParentVUE with your username and password.
- As soon as you log in, the default tab you will see is the “Student Info” tab.
- On the top of the “Student Info” page, click “Edit Information” to select your choices to the instructional delivery method and transportation questions.
- Scroll to the middle of the “Student Info” page to select your choices for the instructional delivery method and transportation questions.
- After selecting your choices, scroll to the top or the bottom of the page to select “Save Changes.”
- If you have multiple students, you will need to complete this process for each student by selecting their name in the box located in the upper-left corner of the screen in ParentVUE.
Families are able to use the following link to access ParentVUE when they are ready to select their instructional delivery methods and transportation choices for their student(s): https://vue.apsva.us.
For additional information or assistance with accessing ParentVUE, families should contact the main office at their student’s school.