Students enrolled in the Arlington Public School System are invited to submit poems for Moving Words, a poetry competition co-sponsored by the Arlington Public Schools Humanities Project, Arlington County Cultural Affairs, and the Arlington Transit. The competition is the culmination of the Pick a Poet project, a partnership between Arlington Cultural Affairs and the Humanities Project, which places professional poets in APS classrooms.
The deadline to submit poems to the Moving Words competition is Friday, April 28, 2017.
Poems will be selected by a panel of literary professionals from each of the following categories: K-2nd, 3rd–5th, 6th–8th, and 9th–12th. Winners will be invited to a poetry performance workshop and to give a public poetry reading in an awards ceremony scheduled for Fall 2017. The selected poems will be exhibited on Arlington ART Buses and published on the websites arlingtonarts.org and commuterpage.com. Teachers of winners will receive early registration for the 2018 Pick a Poet program!
Arlington students in grades kindergarten through twelve are eligible to submit poems.
- Students must be enrolled in Arlington Public Schools and may be in any grade.
- Each student may submit up to three poems. Poems must be written by one student and may be on any subject. Poems can be written in any language.
- Poems must be no more than 10 lines including stanza breaks.
- All poems must be typed (please use 12 point font, black ink, 8.5 x 11 paper)
- Please include the following information in the upper right hand corner of each page:
- Student’s full name (first and last)
- School/Teacher contact
SEND ENTRIES TO:
Allison Gilbert, Humanities Project/Apprentice Program Coordinator
Arlington Public Schools
Syphax Center @ Sequoia 2110 Washington Blvd.,
Arlington, VA 22204
For more information, please contact Allison Gilbert, Humanities Project/Apprentice Program Coordinator, at 703-228-6299 or Allison.Gilbert@apsva.us.
Due to the high volume of submissions please note we are unable to receive electronic submissions.