Registration for Summer School begins on Thu, March 1. Arlington Public Schools provides a variety of summer programs for students in PreK through Grade 12 during summer 2018. Most classes begin on July 9.
Students should register at the schools they are attending during the 2017-18 school year by 4 p.m. on the day of the relevant deadline. Please see the Summer School catalog for information on reduced fees and your school principal for need-based scholarships.
Non-APS students must register through the Summer School Office at the Syphax Education Center at 2110 Washington Blvd. Out-of-county fees apply for non-residents. Registration forms will not be accepted after the posted registration deadlines.
New This Year
The elementary summer school calendar includes a four-week strengthening program as well as the Global Village Summit from July 9 until August 3. Additionally, elementary enrichment programs including Summer Laureate, Math Academy, and a new Fun with Coding STEM offering will be held in two 2-week sessions, so that students can select from a variety of programs during the summer. Registration for the elementary enrichment programs is available online.
Elementary Reading Camp will be offered at all of the summer school strengthening sites.
Please join us on Fri, Feb. 9 from 6-8 at Kenmore Middle School to learn more about our summer offerings.Important Summer School registration deadlines are listed below.
Friday, April 6
Registration closes for:
- Elementary and Middle School Outdoor Lab Programs
Friday, May 4
Registration closes for:
- All Elementary Programs, Pre-K –5
- Middle School Enrichment Courses
- High School Enrichment and New Work for Credit Courses
Friday, June 8
Registration closes for:
- Middle School Make-Up and Strengthening Courses
- High School Make-Up and Strengthening Courses
- SOL English 11 Writing Course
- Stratford Program
Monday, June 25
Late Registration for current APS Middle and High School students only who need to repeat a class will be held at the Syphax Education Center on June 25 from 8 AM to 7 PM. No New Work for Credit registrations will be accepted.
HIGHLIGHT ON NEW PROCESSES AND FEATURES:
- Elementary students who attend countywide programs during the school year or who are transfers during the school year to a school other than their neighborhood school and who wish to attend the strengthening summer school program will attend their neighborhood school. See the Summer School catalog for details regarding transportation and program information.
- This year APS is piloting a new online registration system for elementary enrichment programs ONLY. Parents who would like to enroll their child in the elementary enrichment programs may access the enrollment website at https://www.apsva.us/summer-school/. If you would like your child to attend one of the elementary enrichment programs and do not wish to use a credit card to register your child, you may submit your registration form with a check to your child’s school by the deadline listed.
- Families who miss the deadline for registering their students for elementary programs (except the Outdoor Lab) may contact the Summer School office directly to place their child on a waitlist up until June 8. Families will be contacted directly should a spot in the program become available. No transportation will be provided for families who are registered after the initial deadline through the waitlist process.
- Reading Camp for students with disabilities will be held at each of the elementary strengthening locations.
Program fees are due at the time of registration and are non-refundable except under very limited circumstances. Transportation for secondary programs will only be offered before first and after second period; secondary students who register for one period only will not be allowed to stay at school when they do not have a class, and will need to arrange alternative mid-day transportation. Information on Arlington County transit options is available at Arlington transit.com.
A teacher signature is required on all registration forms for students enrolling in strengthening programs at all levels. A counselor signature is also required on all new work for credit registrations. Eighth grade English, Math and Physical Science are only open to students who fail these courses during the year (if students are unsure about whether they will pass, they should wait to register at secondary late registration on June 25). Elementary strengthening courses in Math and Language Arts are open only to students who are currently failing a course, who previously failed an SOL, or who are specifically recommended by their teacher for remediation. Students who are on or above grade level are eligible to register for the elementary enrichment programs.
Reduced fees are available for families who qualify for free or reduced lunch. Scholarships are also available for those in financial need through their child’s school principal.
For additional information, please see the Summer School Catalog and Frequently Asked Questions available online at www.apsva.us/summerschool.
For more information, contact the Summer School office at 703-228-7645 or email@example.com.