Responds to CDC Distancing Guidelines
The Superintendent provided an update on plans moving forward in response to the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) updated guidelines permitting 3-foot distancing at the School Board March 25 meeting.
In response to CDC’s revised guidance permitting 3 feet between students, APS will take the following actions while keeping student needs and health and safety at the forefront of all decision-making:
- Continue to admit additional students to participate in hybrid/in-person instruction during the current school year, according to each school’s building capacity.
- Prioritize special populations on school waitlists. Families interested in having their student(s) begin reporting in person should contact their school. Students will be approved for the change based on each school’s capacity and prioritizing students who are struggling with virtual instruction.
- Provide transportation for prioritized, eligible students on school waitlists.
- Strengthen the summer school model by offering five-day schedules with 3-foot distancing.
- Plan for a strong, five-day in-person model in fall 2021.
APS remains focused on delivering quality instruction in both models, supporting and retaining teachers and staff, providing safe and supportive environments, providing targeted interventions for students needing extra support, and preparing for testing and assessments to equitably serve all students. The presentation also included an update on APS plans to launch COVID-19 testing in schools in early April in partnership ResoucePath, as well as an update on testing and assessments and a Career & Technical Education (CTE) progress report on core competencies during the first half of the school year.
The Board heard updates on the following items:
- Special Education Plan – Staff will present the proposed Special Education Annual Plan which is required annual by the Virginia Department of Education.
- Name for the New Elementary School at the Reed Site – Staff presented the naming committee’s name recommendation of for the new elementary school at the Reed site. The committee recommended Westover Village Elementary School as its top choice and Cardinal Elementary School as the alternate.
- Revisions to School Board Policy M-15 Swimming Pools – The Board heard proposed revisions to SBP M-15 Swimming Pools.
- 2021 School Moves Project Construction Contract Award – The Board heard the proposed construction contract award for the 2021 School Moves Project. Staff’s recommendations are available on BoardDocs.
For More Information:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary.
For more information on how to participate in School Board meetings in person, visit our website.
School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.