Dear APS Families,
My updates this week are related to COVID-19 health and safety measures, including weekly in-school testing. Health and safety remain priorities for APS, especially during flu and holiday travel season, as we work to keep schools open and safe.
Also, a reminder that today is Early Release, and Extended Day will operate on the normal schedule.
- NEXT WEEK: After-School Vaccination Clinics for 5-11-Year-Olds – We are partnering with the Arlington County Public Health Division to hold walk-in, COVID-19 vaccine clinics specifically for 5-11-year-olds at Kenmore, Gunston, Hoffman-Boston and Montessori, Dec. 14-17. The Pfizer vaccine is FREE and has been rigorously tested for safety. These clinics are open to all 5-11-year-olds regardless of APS enrollment status. The full schedule is online.
- Quarantine Exemptions – Vaccination is one way to help keep students safe and in school. Children who have been fully vaccinated do not have to quarantine if they are identified as a close contact of a COVID-19 case, unless they develop COVID-like symptoms within 14 days of exposure. We do not ask about student vaccination status; this will be confirmed only if your student is identified as a close contact.
- New Weekly, In-School Testing Provider – Starting in January, the weekly in-school COVID testing will be provided by CIAN Diagnostics, through a CDC grant. All families wishing to participate, including those currently enrolled in weekly testing, will need to complete new consent forms with CIAN, available online. Opt-in now so your child can participate when this takes effect. Our current provider, ResourcePath, will continue to provide symptomatic testing at Kenmore and testing for athletics and extracurricular activities through March 2022
- Weather Procedures: This video explains APS inclement weather procedures in the event we need to close, delay or dismiss school early. Additional information is online.
- Program of Studies and Gifted Services Update: Next Tue, Dec. 14, we are holding a work session on the Program of Studies and Gifted Services, as part of our commitment to equity and ensuring we are serving the needs of all students. I encourage families interested in these topics to tune in.
Thank you for your ongoing partnership. Looking ahead to Winter Break (Dec. 20-31)—I will send my final update of the calendar year next Wed, Dec. 15. The updates will resume on Jan. 5, 2022.
Dr. Francisco Durán
Arlington Public Schools