Dear APS Families,
One week left in the school year! We look forward to celebrating our students and all they have accomplished during the final week of school. Here are a few reminders for the end of school and for those attending summer school:
Summer School Begins July 5: Summer school welcome letters will be sent home via mail the week of June 27 to the eligible families who enrolled in the program. Student schedules and transportation information will be posted on ParentVUE by the end of the day on July 1. Further communication will be provided closer to that date.
Extended Day: Extended Day registration is currently open for the 2022-23 school year. View details online. Extended Day will operate before summer school (beginning at 7 a.m. each day) at all the elementary school sites (Abingdon, Barrett, Carlin Springs, Jamestown, Key and Randolph). Due to low enrollment, Extended Day will operate afternoon programs at two sites only—Abingdon and Barrett—until 6 p.m. each day. At dismissal, transportation will be provided to the afternoon Extended Day sites:
- Students attending summer school at Carlin Springs and Randolph will be transported by an APS bus to Abingdon.
- Students attending summer school at Jamestown and Key will be transported on an APS bus to Barrett.
- Parents must pick up their children by 6 pm at Abingdon or Barrett.
- Extended Day will also operate an after-school program at the Shriver Program for students attending summer school at Shriver. There will be no morning program at Shriver.
Device Returns: All students will return their devices by the last day of school. Devices will be prepared for re-distribution in the first weeks of 2022-23 school year. There are a few exceptions for secondary students and those attending summer school:
- Middle and high school students taking summer Virtual VA courses will have their devices updated this week through the end of the school year, so that they will have their devices for course work over the summer.
- Students attending APS summer school will receive a device on the first day of summer school on July 5.
- All rising high school students will be able to pick up their device during rolling distribution dates at their schools.
Schools will communicate more details and device return schedules. Learn more online.
Graduation and Promotion Schedule: We look forward to celebrating the Class of 2022, as well as middle school students being promoted to high school. The schedule and links to view events online are available on our website.
Thank you for supporting our schools this year and thank you to the many parent volunteers assisting with year-end festivities.
Dr. Francisco Durán
Superintendent Arlington Public Schools