Dear APS Families,
As we begin a new month, I want to provide you with an update on Summer School, reminders about Parent-Teacher Conferences, Social-Emotional Learning, and upcoming March recognitions.
Summer School 2023: Registration is now open for APS Summer School, which runs July 5 – Aug. 1, at nine school sites. Parents will be informed about student eligibility during Parent-Teacher Conferences this week. Our program improvements for 2023 include the following:
- In-person learning and strengthening in math and literacy for eligible elementary and middle school students. Eligibility based on critical needs in literacy OR math, or both.
- A new STEM-based, hands-on learning opportunity as part of the strengthening program.
- Credit recovery for eligible high school students.
- Virtual Boost Courses are available to all middle and high school students through Exact Path for math, reading and language arts.
- New English Bridge courses for English Learners (rising 9th and 11th grade students).
- Extended School Year Services for students with disabilities.
- PAPER tutoring, Outdoor Lab and more opportunities.
Learn more about Summer School.
FY 2024 Budget: I presented my proposed budget last Thursday. It prioritizes investments that are needed most to directly serve our students, invest in staff and maintain excellent schools, including a continued focus on employee hiring and retention, which includes compensation. Learn more. View my presentation.
Exploring Social Emotional Learning (SEL): Self-Awareness: I continue to reinforce the importance of SEL lessons available to all students on key skills, including self-awareness. Knowing that mental health and a healthy self-image are critical for student academic success, this remains a key focus. Self-awareness is essential as it not only fosters optimism and responsible decision-making but also provides a foundation to establish and maintain healthy relationships with others. Learn more about how you can help your student develop this social-emotional skill: self-awareness.
- March is Arts in the Schools Month: I encourage you to take advantage of opportunities to enjoy March concerts, arts festivals, workshops, recitals, poetry readings and plays. A complete list of APS arts events is available in the Arts in the Schools Month brochure. Follow APS on Twitter using #APSMarchisArts.
- Women’s History Month: During Women’s History Month, we celebrate famous pioneers and leaders in our community. #APSWomensHistory.
- Social Work Week: March 5-11 is Social Work Week, and APS will be thanking our school social workers for their many contributions to student well-being and success. Show them your thanks next week!
As a reminder, tomorrow, March 2, is an Elementary Early Release Day. Fri, March 3 is a No School Day for Elementary and Middle Schools for Parent-Teacher Conferences.
Have a great week!
Dr. Francisco Durán