Dear APS Families,
Happy First Week of School! Thank you for helping to make the start of the 2022-23 school year a success. The start of a new year brings a mix of emotions for all—especially students transitioning to a new school—and we are grateful for your support and partnership in making sure every student has a strong start back to school.
As I visited schools this week, I observed a variety of lessons and activities designed to build strong relationships among students and create positive, safe and supportive communities within schools and classrooms. Here are some reminders as we head into the long weekend for Labor Day:
- First Day Photo Gallery: Here is a collection of photos from the opening day submitted by students, staff and families. We will be sharing a video capturing some first day moments at next Thursday’s School Board meeting when I present the first day report, which will also include initial enrollment statistics and other updates from our first day of school.
- Upcoming Holidays: As a reminder, there is no school on Fri, Sept. 2 and Mon, Sept. 5 for the Labor Day holiday. I have received some questions about why we are closed this Friday. State law requires Virginia schools that open prior to Labor Day to close on the Friday before the holiday, as well as Monday. Looking ahead, also note that APS is closed and there is no school on Mon, Sept. 26 for the Rosh Hashanah holiday. View the full calendar for the school year online.
- Transportation Updates: Transportation will continue to make minor modifications to bus schedules over the next few weeks, which is our normal practice at the start of each year to ensure the best possible service. Any changes will be communicated in advance, and we thank you for your feedback and patience.
- We have over 2,500 families already actively using the WherestheBus tool to track their bus arrival. If you haven’t done so, I encourage our APS bus-eligible families to take advantage of this service.
- If you have concerns about your student’s bus schedule or want to share feedback, please contact our Family Information Line on school days at 703-228-8000 and select option 1 for Transportation Services.
- School Meals: APS is committed providing healthy nutritious breakfast and lunch for our students. If you believe you may be eligible for meal benefits, please apply now to continue receiving free meals for the current school year. No action is required if you have already received an eligibility letter from APS Food Services for the current school year or if your student attends Barcroft, Drew, Carlin Springs, Randolph or Barrett. Students at those five schools automatically qualify for free meals as part of the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP). Applications are available in ParentVUE, on the APS Food Services Webpage or online at myschoolapps.com.
Thank you for your continued partnership!
Have a wonderful rest of the week, and a great long weekend.
Dr. Francisco Durán
Arlington Public Schools