Dear APS Families,
As we complete our first month of the school year, here are updates and reminders regarding upcoming recognitions as well as other information to support student success and wellbeing:
- Thanking APS Custodians: October 2 is Custodial Appreciation Day, so please join APS in celebrating and thanking our custodians over the next week for their many contributions to our schools and student success and wellbeing.
- APS Student Support Framework: Last week we shared the first in a series of Every Student Counts videos and resources to better educate and inform families about how we are addressing gaps in student achievement, as well as how teachers and specialists support all students using a tiered system. Learn more and watch the video.
- Lunch and Learn—Suicide Prevention Awareness: This Friday, Sept. 30, from 12-1 p.m., our Parent Resource Center is hosting a virtual session to help parents, guardians and caregivers recognize warning signs of student distress and identify students who may be at risk or contemplating suicide. This is one of the ways APS is working to educate our community during National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. View additional resources and register for the virtual session at: https://forms.gle/W1LZfWeL64pd6yBEA
- Complete the Annual Online Verification Process (AOVP): Since the start of the school year, approximately 46 percent of families have completed the AOVP—thank you! We aim to reach 100 percent. AOVP is the opportunity for families to review and update student, parent and emergency contact information. It also contains important policies and information. All families must complete this process by Oct. 31, 2022. Support is available in a variety of ways:
- Families can access the AOVP through their ParentVUEaccount online or on the app
- Contact your child’s schoolfor assistance activating your ParentVUE account, completing AOVP, or for additional support.
- Video tutorialsand ParentVUE activation instructions
- NEW: Receive in-person support in multiple languages by attending one of two evening Pizza and ParentVUE events, October 19 and 26, to help families complete AOVP. View the event flyer.
The 2022-23 school year calendar includes a few holidays coming up in October, including next Wed, Oct. 5. Because we are closed on that date, there will be no weekly update next week. I will resume my update on Oct. 12.
Thank you for your partnership.
Dr. Francisco Durán