Dear APS Families,
I hope you had a great first week of school and enjoyed the Labor Day holiday. Here are updates for the week ahead:
- NEW Academic Support for Middle and High School Students: I want to ensure all middle and high school families are aware of the new academic support available for secondary students via our partner, called PAPER. PAPER provides 24/7 on-demand virtual tutors available to students through Clever for assistance with homework, essay review and other academic support in multiple subjects and languages. Teachers have been promoting this service directly to students. Details online.
- Transportation Updates: We are aware that there are some bus issues that need to be addressed based on feedback from the first week of school. Transportation Services is working to adjust schedules and address late buses where needed and will communicate updates with families as issues are resolved. Thank you for your patience as we work to make necessary improvements during the first weeks of school, as is our standard practice at the start of every school year. Continue to share any feedback with us using our Family Information Line at 703-228-8000 (Option 1 for Transportation).
- Staffing Update: APS started the school year 99 percent fully staffed, and Human Resources is working closely with administrators to fill the remaining 35 full-time teacher vacancies as quickly as possible. Currently there are 15 full-time vacancies at the elementary level and 20 at the secondary level. We are utilizing substitutes where necessary as we work to ensure high quality teachers are in place in every classroom. Thank you for your patience.
- COVID Testing Continues—Opt In Now: Our in-school weekly COVID testing program is available to all students. This testing helps with early detection of positive COVID cases at school, and is available to returning and new students whose parents/guardians either reaffirm their initial consent or complete a new consent form online. Complete information and opt in forms are online. View the updated COVID-19 Protocols and FAQ online.
- Annual Online Verification Process Now Open: Please take a moment to verify key emergency contacts and other information in ParentVUE as soon as possible. It’s important that all families complete the Annual Online Verification Process (AOVP) which is how we collect essential information and verify all families have reviewed important documents such as the Student Handbook and updated Student Code of Conduct. Video tutorials and ParentVUE activation instructions are available to help families complete AOVP. Contact your child’s school for AOVP assistance.
- September 8 School Board Meeting: Annual First Day Report: I hope you will tune in for my annual First Day update at this Thursday’s School Board meeting beginning at 7 p.m.
Have a wonderful week!
Dr. Francisco Durán
Arlington Public Schools