Last weekend, Richmond hosted 700 students from across Virginia who comprised the 2019 All-Virginia Band, Chorus and Orchestra ensembles. Performances took place on Saturday, April 6 at the Dominion Energy Center for the Performing Arts. Fifteen APS students participated in the performance.
Selected through a highly competitive audition process, there were five total ensembles; Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Orchestra, Treble Choir and Mixed Choir, who were rehearsing and prepping throughout the weekend. Approximately 300 music teachers, who are members of the Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association (VBODA), and the Virginia Choral Directors Association (VCDA), were also in attendance. All of the teachers in attendance are also members of the Virginia Music Educators Association (VMEA).
Additionally, the Virginia Choral Directors Association were also host for selected All-Virginia Middle School Chorus students that performed Saturday afternoon in Richmond.
APS students who participated, include:
- Jefferson Middle School – Layla Eisenberg
- H-B Woodlawn Secondary – Andrew London, Audrey Smith, and Brooke Tanner
- Wakefield High School – Charlotte Greenwood, Drake Henry, Lauren Smith, and Cameron Ware
- Washington-Lee High School – Henry Bedell, Marissa McDonnell, Noah Portner and Sabrina Shuster
- Yorktown High School – William Holtz, Leelee Kopca and Jackson Pope