The learning opportunities listed on this page are not specific endorsements for particular programs or products, but are provided for your information.
Online Learning | Continuing Education | Workshops/Institutes/Conferences
VDOE Professional Learning & Development: The Professional Learning and Development portal connects educators, administrators and support services personnel to information about opportunities and resources developed by VDOE and non-profit organizations that provide professional learning opportunities for public school educators. The portal also provides a venue for school divisions to collaborate and share innovations and promising practices.
- 250 Ivy League MOOC’s -Over 250 free online courses in multiple content areas
- The Annenberg/CPB Channel
- ASCD PD Online
- Averett University Online Graduate Programs
- Casenex– Professional Development Courses for Educators using the Case Method
- Global Competence Certificate Program for Teachers -The Global Competence Certificate (GCC) Program is the first-of-its-kind online graduate level certificate program in global competence education for teachers. Developed by Teachers College, Columbia University, Asia Society, and World Savvy, the GCC helps educators integrate global competence into their practice while building their own global citizenship and teacher-leadership skills.
- 15 month program with rigorous academic coursework, immersive global field work, and structured peer-to peer- collaboration to help educators develop the capacity to embed global competence into teaching and learning.
- Grand Canyon University (Online M.Ed., Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees in education)
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Online Learning
- Longwood University Online Continuing Education and Professional Development Courses
- Old Dominion University has partnered with Virtual Education Software, inc. to offer continuing education courses for K-12 educators online or via CD-Rom. Click here to view available online courses and register. There are courses that offer 3 or 4.5 Continuing Education Units for $165.
- Mary Baldwin University
- Master of Education in English as a Second Language
- Online delivery
- 2 years to complete
- $495/credit hour
- Click here for flyer with additional information
- Master of Education in English as a Second Language
- Metropolitan Community College of Omaha –offers accredited online courses.
- National University —
- North TIER courses – New Registration Process (Spring 2020)! For directions, click here!
- Fall registration coming soon!
- $55 for 30 hour courses and $80 for 45 hour courses
- Earn up to 45 hours of re-certification credit (graduate credits available for additional fee)
- All courses are online
- PBS Teacherline
- Shenandoah University Online Courses: VESI courses offer busy educators online access to flexible pertinent courses which not only meet VDOE recertification requirements but also increase classroom effectiveness.Classes are completely asynchronous, online and students have up to six months to complete the coursework. Please click HERE to learn more.
- Trinity Online Courses
- University of Richmond, School of Continuing Studies, online courses
- University of San Diego, online courses
- University of Mary Washington College of Education
- VDOE Sponsored Intel Elements Professional Development
- VDOE TeacherDirect – The goal of TeacherDirect is to provide a way to share new instructional resources created by VDOE staff as well as make teachers aware of professional development and grant opportunities, and other information of special interest to teachers and their students.
- Virtual Education Software (graduate credits available through Shenandoah University)
- WHRO Professional Development: Online professional development powered by WHRO and VSTE featuring Virginia’s PBS Teacherline
- Additional online opportunities may be included in the continuing education links below.
Below is a listing of universities with education related course and programs for continuing your education.
- Drexel University
- George Mason University
- George Washington University Graduate School of Education
- Harvard Graduate School of Education
- James Madison University Outreach and Engagement
- Outreach and Engagement extends the resources of JMU’s campus by encouraging the creation and implementation of innovative educational opportunities.
- Longwood University ASD Professional Studies Certificate
- Marymount University
- National University
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Old Dominion University- Graduate Studies
- Trinity Continuing Education/Professional Development
- University of Mary Washington – College of Education
- University of Maryland
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Richmond School of Continuing Studies
- University of Virginia Curry School of Education
- The Center for Teaching Excellence at UVA-WISE
- Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Education
- Virginia Tech, Northern Virginia Campus
Cage Free Voices! Becoming Cage Free in Your Teaching: The Fundamentals of Online Student Engagement
Harvard Business Review Podcasts
Library 2.0 Online Learning Conferences & Webinars
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)
Webinars are free and open to all educators. We provide replays if you aren’t able to join live and also certificates of attendance you can use for PD hours. Register to join one of our upcoming webinars!
- Knowing Your Students and Responding to Their Needs, July 29 at noon ET
- Teaching for Understanding, August 5 at noon ET
- Monitoring Student Learning with Evidence, August 12 at noon ET
- Being a Reflective Teacher with a Growth Mindset, August 19 at noon ET
- Collaborating with Colleagues, Families, Community, August 26 at noon ET
This fall, Virginia teachers will return to classrooms that utilize the Canvas LMS, and we want to make sure you are supported. We’re offering you a free one-on-one coaching session with an expert, a Canvas Panda Pro, to answer any Canvas questions you may have.These free, 25-minute coaching sessions with Canvas experts are available to any Virginia public school educator. This is a great opportunity to receive individualized help from a Canvas expert about a variety of topics, including blended learning, module best practices, instructional design, SpeedGrader, strategies for formative assessments, Canvas Quizzes, accessibility, and more Canvas tools.The Panda Pros are now available 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., seven days a week, until the end of September. Reserve your free Panda Pro coaching session here.
Praxis Test Preparation
VIBE Summer Webinar Series – Virtual Virginia, in partnership with the Virginia Society for Technology in Education (VSTE) and Canvas, will present Catch the VIBE, a summer series of free 30-minute webinars highlighting best practices in blended instruction.
- Project-Based Learning (PBL)July 22 at 1 p.m.
- Using Student Data for Meaningful Goal-SettingJuly 29 at 1 p.m.
- Reflecting on the JourneyAugust 5 at 1 p.m.
Register for Catch the VIBE Summer Mini-Courses