Registrations are currently being accepted for the 2022-23 school year. Only students new to APS need to register.
An overview of registration requirements is also provided in the Guidebook for Parents, available for elementary, middle, and high school families.
Online Registration Process
1. Determine Arlington Residency
All students attending Arlington Public Schools (APS) must reside in Arlington County with a parent or legal guardian. To determine if an address qualifies to attend APS or the neighborhood school based on an address, enter the home address in the APS Boundary (Attendance Area) Locator.
If you are a student or family experiencing homelessness and are trying to register for APS, please contact the APS Homeless Liaison Alicia Flores at 703-228-6046 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Complete the Arlington Public Schools Student Registration Form
A parent or legal guardian needs to download and fill out the APS Student Registration form (English | Spanish) for each child being registered.
- PC Users – Must use Adobe Acrobat Reader to complete the form.
- Mac Users – Can use the Preview App to complete the form.
- Note: If you use your browser to complete the form, you won’t be able to save your changes.
3. Gather Required Registration Documents
- Download a complete checklist English | Spanish
- Tip: Families may submit documents online by taking clear photos using their mobile device.
Parents/legal guardians are required to show proof that they live with their child in Arlington County.
|If a family owns or rents property||If a family lives in the residence of someone else (shared housing)|
|ONE of the following documents must be provided:
||THREE documents must be provided:|
|Any TWO supporting documents that include the parent’s/legal guardian’s name and address:
|Proof of Student’s Age and Legal Name|
|Proof of Parent Identity and Relationship to Student|
|Any valid Government Issued Photo Identification||
|Additional Education Documents|
|If registering for Kindergarten||If applicable|
4. Upload Registration Documents
Upload your child’s completed Student Registration Form and all the required registration documents. If you are registering multiple children, you may upload documents for all of the children at the same time. Photos of documents are able to be uploaded. Be sure to note the name and email address you enter. You will use the same parent name and email address if a registrar asks you for additional documents.
- One-step upload – Upload all documents at once. If you are using an iPhone, please select the option to ‘take picture or video’ when uploading your documents.
5. Attend Virtual Meeting with an APS Registrar
An APS staff member will contact the registering parent or legal guardian after the registration documents are received to set up a virtual meeting. During the virtual meeting, a staff member will review all registration documents submitted, answer questions, and provide next steps in the registration process. It is requested that families have all original documents available at the time of the scheduled virtual meeting.
School Health Forms
Families are required to submit the Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form and Tuberculosis Screening Certificate during the conditional registration process to ensure their child will be able to start school in time for the new school year. If your child will need medications or special procedures during school, visit the Arlington County School Health webpage for additional forms, including medication authorization forms and care plans that need to be completed and submitted to the school clinic. For questions regarding school health or the health forms, please contact your child’s School Health Office directly.
Privacy and Security
For privacy and information security reasons, families should never send personally identifiable information through email and should always upload them through the secure upload website. Personally identifiable information is information that, alone or in combination, can be linked to a specific student, including but not limited to:
- Name of student, parents, or other family members;
- Address of student, parents, or other family members;
- Personal identifier, such as a Social Security Number, APS student ID, or health records.
- Indirect identifiers, such as date of birth, place of birth, or mother’s maiden name.
No APS employee will ever email or call families requesting any personally identifiable information be submitted through email. If you do receive an email requesting this information, please disregard it because it may be a phishing email attempting to receive access to your personally identifiable information. If you receive a call requesting this information, only submit the documentation through the secure upload portal and not through email.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 (selection option 3) or email@example.com.