Registrations are currently being accepted for the 2022-23 school year. Only students new to APS need to register.
Every student is guaranteed a space in the neighborhood school designated by their home address. Use the School Boundary (Attendance Zone) Locator to find out which school is designated as your neighborhood school.
Complex Living Situations
If you are student or family experiencing homelessness or are unstably housed, please contact Project Extra Step at 703-228-6046 or email@example.com or contact Barbara Fisher, Homeless Liaison, at 703-228-2585.
HOW TO SUBMIT REGISTRATION DOCUMENTS ONLINE USING ONE-STEP-UPLOAD
STEP 1: Complete and submit an APS Student Registration Form English | Spanish
- PC Users – Must use Adobe Acrobat Reader to complete the form.
- Mac Users – Can use the Preview App to complete the form.
- Note: If you use your browser to complete the form, you won’t be able to save your changes.
STEP 2: Collect and fill out the following documents
- Tip: Families may submit documents online by taking clear photos using a smart phone.
Proof of Arlington County Residency (OPTION 1 OR OPTION 2) AND TWO supporting documents
Parents/legal guardians are required to show proof that they live with their child in Arlington County.
OPTION 1: If a family owns or rents property, ONE of the following documents must be provided:
- Deed showing that the student’s parents/legal guardians own the property in Arlington.
- Current lease agreement signed by the lessor and lessee or tenant and landlord.
- Settlement documentation from a new home purchase if the deed has not been recorded.
OPTION 2: If a family lives in the residence of someone else (shared housing), THREE documents must be provided:
- Residency Form A (English) (Spanish) – Parent/Legal Guardian Residency Affidavit.
- Residency Form B (English) (Spanish) – Statement of Arlington Resident Affidavit.
- A deed or lease agreement.
TWO supporting documents that include the parent’s/legal guardians name and address:
- Current federal, state or property tax return
- Current payroll or withholding statement
- Vehicle registration
- Current utility bill (Gas, Electric, Water)
- Valid Virginia driver’s license with current address
- Financial assistance documentation from Arlington County
Proof of Student’s Age and Legal Name (ONE of the following documents)
- An original birth certificate or certified copy translated in English, if necessary.
- If the birth certificate is not available, families can submit a Proof of Student Identity and Age Affidavit (English) (Spanish).
- The affidavit is valid for 30 days and requires additional supporting documents such as the child’s passport.
Proof of Parent Identity and Relationship to Student (ONE of the following documents)
- Any valid Government Issued Photo Identification
- Driver’s License
Additional Education Documents
If registering for Kindergarten, complete the Pre-K Experience Form English | Spanish
- Current Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan
- English Learner or Gifted records
- School records or official transcripts from the previous school attended
STEP 3: Upload Registration Documents
- One-step upload – Upload all documents at once. If you are using a smart phone, please select the option to ‘take picture or video’ when uploading your documents. Take clear photos.
- If you are registering multiple children, you may upload documents for all of the children at the same time.
- Be sure to note the name and email address you enter. You will use the same parent name and email address if a registrar asks you for additional documents.
STEP 4: Attend Virtual Meeting with an APS Registrar
- An APS staff member will contact the registering parent or legal guardian after the registration documents are received to set up a virtual meeting.
- During the virtual meeting, a staff member will review all registration documents submitted, answer questions, and provide next steps in the registration process.
- It is requested that families have all original documents available at the time of the scheduled virtual meeting.
School Health Forms
Must be submitted on a Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form (English | Spanish)
All New Students (Pre-K to 12th):
- *Immunization Records
- **Tuberculosis (TB) test or screening done within 12 months prior to starting school.
Only New Elementary Students (Pre-K to 5th):
- Physical Examination done within 12 months prior to starting school.
Rising 7th Graders:
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (Tdap) booster
- First dose of Meningococcal (MenACWY)
- ***First dose of HPV vaccine
Rising 12th Graders:
- Meningococcal (MenACWY) booster (given after age 16)
*The immunization record should list the month, day and year of immunization for the minimum requirements for entry to school. See the Virginia Department of Health School Minimum Immunization Requirements (English | Spanish).**Original Tuberculosis test or screening documentation must be submitted and:
- be signed by a physician, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, or local health department official.
- include verification of a negative risk assessment or the results of a tuberculin skin test (TST) done within the prior 12 months.
***Parents may “opt out” of the HPV requirement by simply not getting the vaccine. No letter or certification of “opt out” status is required.
SPORTS – Students planning to participate in high school sports must complete a VHSL physical form for high school athletic eligibility and APS Athletic Participation Agreement.
MEDICATIONS – If your child will need medications or special procedures during school, visit Arlington County School Health for additional forms (Medication Authorization Form, Severe Allergy Care Plan, etc.).
QUESTIONS – Please reach out to your School Health Clinic Staff for any questions about requirements for individual students or for support in making an appointment for a student to receive required vaccines through Arlington County’s Immunization Clinic: Immunization Clinic – Official Website of Arlington County Virginia Government (arlingtonva.us).
Privacy and Security
For privacy and information security reasons, families should never send personally identifiable information through email and should always upload them through the secure upload website. Personally identifiable information is information that, alone or in combination, can be linked to a specific student, including but not limited to:
- Name of student, parents, or other family members;
- Address of student, parents, or other family members;
- Personal identifier, such as a Social Security Number, APS student ID, or health records.
- Indirect identifiers, such as date of birth, place of birth, or mother’s maiden name.
No APS employee will ever email or call families requesting any personally identifiable information be submitted through email. If you do receive an email requesting this information, please disregard it because it may be a phishing email attempting to receive access to your personally identifiable information. If you receive a call requesting this information, only submit the documentation through the secure upload portal and not through email.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 (selection option 3) or firstname.lastname@example.org.