APS encourages its school communities to utilize healthy, green transportation options when traveling to and from APS schools and sites. Walking, biking or rolling to school makes us healthier, activates our brains, and helps us build community, share experiences, save money, and care for our environment.
To support your school commute, here are quick links to national, state, and local SRTS and safety resources that can be used as is and/or readily adapted by schools and families.
SRTS Activities and Events
Walk and Bike to School Day (October) / Bike and Walk to School Day (May)
Crossing Guard Appreciation Week (February)
Planning a SRTS Event
- Virginia STTW Data Reports from 2013-present
- APS School-Specific Reports by Year or Comparing Two Years –
Contact SRTS Coordinator with name of school and year(s) requested.
SRTS Funding Opportunities
SRTS Tools and Resources
Walking School Buses
- Phoenix Bikes
CHECK OUT THIS PARTNERS IN ACTION VIDEO about Phoenix Bikes’ work with APS
- iRide Student SmarTrip Card
- iRide Student SmarTrip Card Registration Form
- iRide Student SmarTrip Card Informational Flier / English I Spanish
Multimodal Safety Resources
Walking/Biking Safety Education and Rules of the Road
- Teaching Children to Walk Safely as They Grow and Develop
- StreetSmart Tips on Multimodal Safety
– Safety Tips for Drivers, Pedestrians, and Bicyclists – English/Spanish
– Using the Crosswalks – Multilingual Tip Card
– StreetSmart Resources 2004-present
- ShareVaRoads – Virginia Law and Safety Tips for Motorists, Bicyclists, Pedestrians / English I Spanish
Tips on Walking/Biking Safety from the Arlington County Police Department
Tips on Multimodal Safety from the Arlington County Commuter Services
SRTS Studies and Reports
- Safe Routes to School Programs Boost Walking and Biking 30%
- Research confirms the benefits of the Safe Routes to School program
Contact the SRTS Coordinator for more information.