On June 7, 2018, the School Board adopted a revised policy for Naming of Facilities (F-6.1). The policy describes how APS manages Requests to Rename Schools/Facilities. To date, APS has received nearly 100 request to rename Washington-Lee H.S. and on June 7, 2018, the School Board directed staff to undertake a renaming process for the school.
In the fall of 2018, School and Community Relations is partnering with an external facilitator and the principal of Washington-Lee High School to manage a renaming for Washington-Lee that meets the criteria defined by the Naming of Facilities Policy.
Renaming Committee Membership
The W-L renaming committee accepted applications over the summer, and was confirmed by the School Board in early September.
Renaming Committee – WLHS
21 Members Defined by PIP
- 4 Students: One student for each grade level (if the building being renamed is a high school)
- 3 Parents: parent/family representatives of the school being re-named (includes 1 IB parent)
- 3 School Staff: teacher/staff representatives of the school being re-named
- 4 Civic Assn.: One representative from each of the four civic associations that are closest to the school being re-named
- 4 Alumni: In the case of a high school, four alumni, each representing a different decade for the school’s graduating classes, and who are current residents of Arlington County
- 1 Historical Assn.: Representative from the Arlington Historical Society who is not an alumni or parent of a current student for the school to be renamed.
- 1 Minority Affairs: Arlington Civic Coalition for Minority Affairs
- 1 Principal of the school to be renamed.
- One Staff Liaison, (non-voting)
- One Professional Facilitator (non-voting)
Each member will be charged with soliciting input from their corresponding school, neighborhood or community groups.
Participating in Community Engagement Strategies and Activities
Community engagement will be, in part, a responsibility of the committee members to solicit recommendations and input from their corresponding constituent groups. Engagement may include:
- Reach out to the member that is associated to your group to ask questions or share your ideas
- Minutes from the committee meetings will be posted online
- Ask a committee member to talk with your group or share the meeting summaries with your group
- Participate when opportunities arise for the community provide feedback (through surveys or other opportunities
- Share information on your organization’s listserve or email group
- Use the Online Feedback Form on “Engage with APS” – select the initiative from the drop-down list to submit your comments and input (all comments will be shared with the full committee
Timeline for the Renaming Process
School Community Engagement
Sept. – Nov. 2018
Committee Meeting Dates
All meetings are from 7 – 9 p.m.
School Board Meeting Schedule
Aug. – Dec. 2018
SCR Staff Liaison & Principal Team
|Linda Erdos, Asst Superintendent, School and Community Relations & + Professional Facilitator|
|Gregg Robertson, Principal|
- Policy F-6.1 Naming of Facilities https://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/arlington/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=B26QVF6B23A6#
- PIP 50-1.10 – Naming of Facilities