Information about the number of applicants offered a position and the number of applicants on remaining on the waitlist for each Elementary Option School is available on the School Transfer Data Application page. For additional information about the Elementary Option Schools waitlist process, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Application Process
The timeframe to apply for an elementary countywide option school transfer for the 2018-19 school year is Feb. 1 – April 16, 2018.
- The online application will be available on Feb. 1, 2018. Parents should complete an Options School Application online between Feb. 1, 2018 and April. 16, 2018 by 4 p.m.
- Staff at the APS Welcome Center (2110 Washington Blvd.), as well as school staff, are able to assist families who do not have access to the online form.
- If the number of applications exceed the available seats for any of the Options Schools, APS will conduct a random double-blind lottery to determine admission.
- If families apply to more than one school/program, their application will go into all lotteries simultaneously.
- Lotteries for all Elementary Option schools will be held on April 23, 2018 at the APS Welcome Center by Department of Teaching and Learning staff. Click here to view the Lottery FAQ for additional information about the lottery process.
- Families will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waiting list in writing by the APS Welcome Center no later than April 30, 2018.
- Parents must confirm or decline attendance to the school or program by May 21, 2018.
- Students who applied, but were not selected through the lottery process, will be placed in numerical order on a waiting list.
- Applications received after the deadline are placed at the bottom of the existing waiting list for the upcoming school year.
- Waiting lists will be maintained by the APS Welcome Center until July 1. After July 1, waiting lists for the current school year will be maintained by school staff.
- Families on the waiting list as of Feb. 1, 2018 for Options Schools do not need to re-apply; they will maintain their place on the waiting list and be able to attend the school of their choice if spaces become available.
- Beginning with applications in the fall of 2018, all families will need to apply for all programs each year to be included in the lottery.
For additional details by school, please review SB Policy 25-2.2
*Students who have already been admitted to and are currently enrolled in an option school do not need to reapply for the following years.
Contact: Department of School and Community Relations at 703-228-6005.