**APS is not able to offer elementary neighborhood transfers for the 2020-21 school year at this time.**
Neighborhood schools have attendance areas established by the School Board. Every student is guaranteed admission to the elementary, middle and high school serving the attendance area in which the student lives.
The Superintendent will provide an annual update of Neighborhood Schools able to accept transfers. This information will be available prior to the School Board adopted time frame to apply to countywide schools and transfers (between Feb. 1 and April 15, for the following school year).
APS does not provide school bus transportation for transfers from one neighborhood school to another. Transportation is only provided for students enrolled in countywide schools or programs, as well as their home/neighborhood school, to eligible students who live more than one mile away from the school.
If you need assistance determining the neighborhood school your children will attend, please use the Boundary (Attendance Area) Locator.
Neighborhood Transfer Information for the 2021-22 School Year
Abingdon Transfer Pilot for SY 2021-22
- APS is conducting a pilot to allow Abingdon students who will be in Grades K-5 in the 2021-22 school year to apply to transfer to Drew.
- This is a new tool to manage enrollment between two neighboring schools, one that is over capacity and one that can accommodate additional students.
- These transfer students can remain at Drew through Grade 5 when they matriculate to middle school.
- Additional details will be shared with the families who are eligible for these transfers soon.
Process to Manage Elementary School Enrollment
- The School Board motion on Dec. 3, 2020 directed APS to “undertake a countywide process to manage elementary school enrollment in SY 2022-2023 that will take effect in SY 2023-2024 and will include boundary changes and other tools.”
- If there is a need for an earlier boundary adjustment for Abingdon, then this will be conducted in Fall 2021 – decision about whether this will take place will be announced by Sept. 1, 2021.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or email@example.com.