**APS is not able to offer elementary neighborhood transfers for the 2021-22 school year at this time.**
Neighborhood schools have attendance areas established by the School Board. Every student is guaranteed admission to the elementary, middle and high school serving the attendance area in which the student lives.
For the upcoming 2021-22 school year, APS is unable to offer elementary school neighborhood transfers due to financial constraints and capacity limits in accordance with the School Board Options and Transfers Policy J-5.3.31. APS assesses the ability to provide neighborhood transfers for the upcoming school year annually, and following this year’s assessment, neighborhood transfers are unable to be offered for elementary neighborhood schools because all schools have reached their student capacity limits.
Families were informed at Kindergarten Information Night that neighborhood transfers were not available for the upcoming school year and have not been available in previous years due all APS elementary schools being at capacity. Neighborhood transfers are not guaranteed each school year due to fluctuations in student enrollment, but could become available for the following school year.
If you need assistance determining the neighborhood school your children will attend, please use the Boundary (Attendance Area) Locator.
Neighborhood Transfer Information for the 2021-22 School Year
Abingdon Transfer Pilot for SY 2021-22
- APS is conducting a pilot to allow Abingdon students who will be in Grades K-5 in the 2021-22 school year to apply to transfer to Drew.
- This is a new tool to manage enrollment between two neighboring schools, one that is over capacity and one that can accommodate additional students.
- These transfer students can remain at Drew through Grade 5 when they matriculate to middle school.
- Additional details will be shared with the families who are eligible for these transfers soon.
Process to Manage Elementary School Enrollment
- The School Board motion on Dec. 3, 2020 directed APS to “undertake a countywide process to manage elementary school enrollment in SY 2022-2023 that will take effect in SY 2023-2024 and will include boundary changes and other tools.”
- If there is a need for an earlier boundary adjustment for Abingdon, then this will be conducted in Fall 2021 – decision about whether this will take place will be announced by Sept. 1, 2021.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or email@example.com.