High School Information Night was held on Nov. 4, 2019, where families learned about the high school transition process and the neighborhood and option schools application timelines for the 2020-21 school year. Watch the Middle School Information Night video or view the PowerPoint presentation.
|Option High Schools & Programs Application Timeline|
|Application Window: CLOSED||Nov. 4, 2019 – Jan. 17, 2020|
|Lottery||Jan. 29, 2020|
|Lottery Notification||Feb. 7, 2020|
|Accept/Decline||Feb. 21, 2020|
|High School Neighborhood Transfers Application Timeline|
|Application Window: OPEN||Feb. 24, 2020 – March 16, 2020|
|Lottery||March 23, 2020|
|Lottery Notification||March 30, 2020|
|Accept/Decline||April 10, 2020|
General High School Options & Transfers Application Information for School Year 2020-21
- Option Schools/Programs: Advanced Placement (AP) Network at Wakefield, Arlington Tech at the Arlington Career Center, H-B Woodlawn (Grades 9-12), Spanish Immersion Program at Wakefield, and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program at Washington-Liberty.
- Neighborhood Transfers: The application period to apply for a neighborhood high school transfer will open on Feb. 24, 2020. Information about high school transfers for the 2020-21 school year is available on the High School Requesting a Transfer webpage. Families that would like to request their child attend a high school other than their neighborhood high school can request an administrative transfer (appeals process) after first applying for a neighborhood transfer.
- Information Night: Watch the High School Information Night video or view the PowerPoint presentation. In addition, each high school offers a school-based information session for families.
- Waitlists: High school neighborhood transfer waitlists will be maintained by the APS Welcome Center until May 1, 2019. Options seats are continuously filled throughout the school year as seats become available. Families will be notified if they are on the waitlist and a seat becomes available. If families do not accept or decline a seat by the deadline, the available seat is given to the next student on the waitlist. All waitlists reset when the options and transfers period begins each year, so families must reapply if they are still interested in attending a school or program they applied to previously.
- Sibling Preference: Sibling preference is not currently offered at the high school level.
- Transportation: Transportation is available for students attending option schools/programs. However, bus stops may be centralized and a longer distance from a student’s residence. Transportation is not provided for neighborhood or administrative transfers.
- Appeals: Families with students placed on a waitlist can file an appeal for an administrative transfer under the appeals process. Approval under the appeals process occurs after the lottery and the timeline to accept or decline options and transfers offers.
- To Apply: Apply for an option high school or program through the online application portal.
Additional information on middle school options and transfers is available on the High School Options and Transfers page.
Secondary lottery information for SY 2020-21 for students who received an offer through the secondary lottery for an option school/program or neighborhood transfer.
Other Secondary Programs
The programs at Arlington Community High School, Langston High School Continuation Program, New Directions, Shriver (formerly Stratford) and Teenage Parenting are designed to meet the specific circumstances and needs of individual students.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or email@example.com.