General Application Process
APS is now accepting online applications for secondary option schools/programs and neighborhood transfers. Information on the available secondary option schools/programs and neighborhood transfers is available on the options and transfers webpage. The deadline to complete the application is January 18, 2019 at 4 p.m. The online application portal reference guide provides instructions on how to set up an account. For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit the link below to access the online application portal to submit an application.
The application period to apply to secondary option schools is the first Monday in November to the third Friday in January for the following school year.
- The online application will be available on Nov. 5, 2018. Parents should complete an Options School Application online between Nov. 5, 2018 and Jan. 18, 2019 by 4 p.m.
- Staff at the APS Welcome Center (2110 Washington Blvd.), as well as school staff, are able to assist families who do not have access to the online form.
- If the number of applications exceed the available seats for any of the Options Schools, APS will conduct a random double-blind lottery to determine admission.
- If families apply to more than one school/program, their application will go into all lotteries simultaneously.
- Lotteries for all Secondary Options schools will be held on January 29, 2019 at the Welcome Center by the Department of Teaching and Learning.
- Families will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waiting list in writing by the APS Welcome Center no later than February 5, 2019.
- Parents must confirm or decline attendance to the school or program by February 22, 2019.
- Students who applied, but were not selected through the lottery process, will be placed in numerical order on a waiting list.
- Applications received after the deadline are placed at the bottom of the existing waiting list for the upcoming school year.
- Waiting lists will be maintained by the APS Welcome Center until July 1. After July 1, waiting lists for the current school year will be maintained by school staff.
- Beginning with applications in the fall of 2018, all families will need to apply for all programs each year to be included in the lottery.