General Application Process
The application period to apply to secondary option schools is the first Monday in November to the third Friday in January for the following school year.
- The online application will be available on Nov. 1, 2021, at 10 p.m. Parents should complete an Options School Application online between Nov. 1, 2021, and Jan. 21, 2022, by 4 p.m.
- Staff at the APS Welcome Center (2110 Washington Blvd.), as well as school staff, are able to assist families who do not have access to the online form.
- If the number of applications exceeds the available seats for any of the Options Schools, APS will conduct a lottery to determine admission.
- If families apply to more than one school/program, their application will go into all lotteries simultaneously.
- Lotteries for all Secondary Options schools were held on January 31, 2021, 12 – 4 p.m. View the recording.
- Families will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlist by email and/or text by the APS Welcome Center on February 7, 2022, after 4 p.m.
- Parents must confirm or decline attendance to the school or program by February 21, 2022.
- If families do not accept or decline their seat by the deadline, their seat will be given to the next student on the waitlist.
- Students who applied, but were not selected through the lottery process, will be placed in numerical order on a waitlist.
- Applications received after the deadline are placed at the bottom of the existing waitlist for the upcoming school year.
- When students on the waitlist are offered a seat, they have a one-week window to accept the slot. If the slot is not accepted within the one-week window, the offer will be rescinded and offered to the next student on the waitlist.
- Waitlists for neighborhood transfers will be maintained by the APS Welcome Center until May 2. Option seats are continuously filled throughout the school year as seats become available.
*Students who have already been admitted to and are currently enrolled in an option school do not need to reapply for the following years.
For additional details by school, please review School Board Policy J-5.3.31 and PIP-1
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.