General Application Process
The application period to apply to secondary option schools is the first Monday in November to the third Friday in January for the following school year.
- The online application will be available on Nov. 2, 2020 at 10 p.m. Parents should complete an Options School Application online between Nov. 2, 2020 and Jan. 15, 2021 by 4 p.m.
- Staff at the APS Welcome Center (2110 Washington Blvd.), as well as school staff, are able to assist families who do not have access to the online form.
- If the number of applications exceed the available seats for any of the Options Schools, APS will conduct a lottery to determine admission.
- If families apply to more than one school/program, their application will go into all lotteries simultaneously.
- Lotteries for all Secondary Options schools will be held on January 29, 2021 at the Welcome Center by the Department of Teaching and Learning.
- Families will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlist by email and/or text by the APS Welcome Center on February 8, 2021 after 4 p.m.
- Parents must confirm or decline attendance to the school or program by February 22, 2021.
- If families do not accept or decline their seat by the deadline, their seat will be given to the next student on the waitlist.
- Students who applied, but were not selected through the lottery process, will be placed in numerical order on a waitlist.
- Applications received after the deadline are placed at the bottom of the existing waitlist for the upcoming school year.
- When students on the waitlist are offered a seat, they have a one-week window to accept the slot. If the slot is not accepted within the one-week window, the offer will be rescinded and offered to the next student on the waitlist.
- Waitlists for neighborhood transfers will be maintained by the APS Welcome Center until May 1. Option seats are continuously filled throughout the school year as seats become available.
- Beginning with applications in the fall of 2018, all families will need to apply for all programs each year to be included in the lottery.
*Students who have already been admitted to and are currently enrolled in an option school do not need to reapply for the following years.
For additional details by school, please review School Board Policy J-5.3.31
Secondary lottery information for students who received an offer through the secondary lottery for an option school/program or neighborhood transfer.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or email@example.com.