The application time frame to submit a secondary options and transfer application closed on Jan 18, 2019. Families are able to log into the online application portal to apply to be placed on the waitlist or to verify their application status. Applications received at this time will be placed at the bottom of the waitlist in the order in which it is received. In addition, families are able to monitor their location on a school’s waitlist through the online application portal. Waitlist for neighborhood schools will be maintained until May 1. For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Application Process
The application period to apply to secondary option schools is the first Monday in November to the third Friday in January for the following school year.
- The online application will be available on Nov. 5, 2018. Parents should complete an Options School Application online between Nov. 5, 2018 and Jan. 18, 2019 by 4 p.m.
- Staff at the APS Welcome Center (2110 Washington Blvd.), as well as school staff, are able to assist families who do not have access to the online form.
- If the number of applications exceed the available seats for any of the Options Schools, APS will conduct a random double-blind lottery to determine admission.
- If families apply to more than one school/program, their application will go into all lotteries simultaneously.
- Lotteries for all Secondary Options schools will be held on January 29, 2019 at the Welcome Center by the Department of Teaching and Learning.
- Families will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waiting list in writing by the APS Welcome Center no later than February 5, 2019.
- Parents must confirm or decline attendance to the school or program by February 22, 2019.
- If families do not accept or decline their seat by the deadline, their seat will be given to the next student on the waitlist.
- Students who applied, but were not selected through the lottery process, will be placed in numerical order on a waitlist.
- Applications received after the deadline are placed at the bottom of the existing waitlist for the upcoming school year.
- Waitlists for neighborhood transfers will be maintained by the APS Welcome Center until May 1. Options seats are continuously filled throughout the school year as seats become available.
- Beginning with applications in the fall of 2018, all families will need to apply for all programs each year to be included in the lottery.
- Administrative transfers can be requested through the appeals process listed in Options and Transfers Policy J-5.3.31.
- Administrative transfers are considered on a case-by-case basis and are based on the particular circumstances of a student’s situation. In order to file an appeal, families must first submit an application through the online application portal and be placed on the waitlist.
- Appeals must be submitted in writing to the Assistant Superintendent of Administrative Services Cintia Johnson (email@example.com).
- Families will receive a written acknowledgement confirming receipt of the appeal and a written response to the appeal that is consistent with the policy. Approval under the appeals process occurs after the lottery and the timeline to accept or decline options and transfers offers.
- If families are dissatisfied with the response from the Superintendent/designee, they may appeal in writing to the School Board for consideration.
- Once a student is approved for an administrative transfer through the appeals process, enrollment will be continuous through the grade levels of that school/program, unless there is cause to discontinue.
For additional details by school, please review School Board Policy J-5.3.31
Secondary lottery information for students who received an offer through the secondary lottery for an option school/program or neighborhood transfer.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.