Neighborhood schools have attendance areas established by the School Board. Every student is guaranteed admission to the elementary, middle, and high school serving the attendance area in which the student resides. If you need to determine your neighborhood middle school, please use the Boundary (Attendance Zone) Locator.
For the 2019-20 school year, students will be selected by lottery for neighborhood transfers in the following order:
- First choice given to rising Grade 8 students (currently in Grade 7) who applied by Dec. 3 to remain at their current middle school for the 2019-20 school year.
- Second choice will be given to rising Grade 7 (currently in Grade 6) who applied to remain at their current middle school.
- Gunston, Jefferson, Kenmore and Swanson do not have room to take additional applicants at this time.
- All transfer seats at Hamm are limited to rising Grade 6 students (currently in Grade 5).
- All remaining seats at Williamsburg will be allocated to all other applicants.
All students accepting transfers must provide their own transportation to and from school. Transfer waitlists will be maintained through May 1, 2019 for each school if space becomes available on or before that date. If a slot becomes available at a school, families will be notified by the APS Welcome Center.
|School||Number of seats|
|Hamm||50 (rising grade 6 students only)|
Families interested in applying for a neighborhood transfer will need to submit an application through the online application portal. Information on how to apply for a neighborhood transfer and the appeals process is available on the How to Apply page.
*Families that would like to request their child attend a middle school other than their neighborhood middle school are able to apply for an administrative transfer (appeals process).
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.