Address: 2847 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201
Phone Number: 703-228-2117
Administrator: Philip Bonar, email@example.com
Web Site: newdirections.apsva.us
The New Directions program provides identified students with rigorous academic schedules and effective counseling services in a small and nurturing environment. Its highly-structured and supportive academic setting offers students the possibility of earning the high school credits needed for graduation. The characteristics listed below apply to students currently enrolled in New Directions.
- The student is at least 14 years of age and has reached at least grade nine in school.
- The student is under court supervision and has a probation officer.
- The student has experienced difficulty in the school and/or in the community.
- The student needs a strictly-monitored school setting.
- The student is recommended by his/her home school and is accepted by a screening committee.
New Directions has three main goals: improve academic status, build positive character and successfully complete probation obligations. Students are expected to make progress toward academic goals, and families are encouraged to meet with staff to develop programs to reinforce schoolwork at home. Students successfully complete the New Directions program through one of several paths: (a) completing the APS graduation requirements and graduate from high school; (b) returning to their home high school; or (c) transferring to the High School Continuation Program at Langston.