The only new work course offering for Social Studies will be Economics and Personal Finance. Registration opens March 3rd and closes May 31st via this Google Form.
- The course is available to to APS students currently in 8th through 12th grade.
- The course runs from July 5th to August 5th.
- The course will be delivered asynchronously via Canvas.
- This means that students can complete work at their own pace as long as they are meeting the due dates and deadlines.
- The course typically takes students about 4-6 hours of work per day.
- Students take the W!SE Financial Literacy Test as part of the course.
- The test will be administered virtually and teachers will reach out with testing dates and procedures. While this will be taken virtually, the test will be monitored and taken at an assigned date and time.
- The test normally takes place around the midpoint of the course.
- If students are not able to take the W!SE exam, they may take a final exam in lieu of the W!SE test.
- There will be an orientation module as part of the course that needs to be completed before coursework can begin. Students may begin that module as soon as they have access to the course (approximately July 2nd). Teachers will reach out to students on or before July 6th to set expectations for the course.
- The cost of this class is $350. There is a reduced rate of $87 for students who are eligible for free and reduced lunch. Invoices will be posted to MySchoolBucks on June 2nd and parents will receive a notification from MySchoolBucks via email.
- Invoices will be posted to MySchoolBucks on June 2nd and parents will receive a notification from MySchoolBucks via email. Payment can be made by credit card via my school bucks (a standard credit card fee will apply) or by check/money order. Parents who do not wish to pay by credit card may take a check or money order to the Syphax building or mail it to:
Arlington Public Schools
2110 Washington Blvd, 22204
ATTN: Claudia Wilson, Finance Department, 4th Floor.
- Syphax is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and checks should be deposited in the locked summer school drop box located on the first floor near the elevators. The student’s identification number must be included on the check or money order and placed in a sealed envelope that lists the name of the course (Economics and Personal Finance) and the students’ current address.
- Credit card payments must be made or checks must be received at Syphax NO LATER THAN 4 PM on JUNE 17.
- March 3rd – Registration opens
- May 31st – Registration deadline
- June 2nd – Invoices available on MySchoolBucks
- June 17th – Course Payment due by 4pm
- July 1st – Schedules for all students will be in ParentVue/StudentVue.
- July 1st – Course will be available to students in their APS Canvas Account
- July 5th – Official start of the course. Teachers will reach out to students on July 5th when the course begins.