Panorama’s survey helps educators understand student perceptions of how supported they feel at school socially and emotionally and their own SEL skill development. The questions are applicable to all types of K-12 school settings and to communities serving students from a range of socioeconomic backgrounds. Panorama provides developmentally appropriate versions of the student survey for grades 3-5 and students in grades 6-12.
SURVEY DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
Thousands of schools and millions of students use Panorama’s Social-Emotional Learning Survey every year. The measures are checked to meet research standards of validity and reliability. We have found positive correlations between these SEL measures and important student outcomes, including GPA, test scores, behavior, and attendance.
The SEL survey was developed by Dr. Hunter Gehlbach, senior research advisor at Panorama and vice dean at the Johns Hopkins School of Education, and Dr. Samuel Moulton, director of research at Panorama. Some measures have been adapted from work conducted in partnership with the CORE Districts and Transforming Education, as well as work at Harvard University by Dr. Hunter Gehlbach and his research team at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
How survey results will be used by teachers, schools and the district
- Equity-focused data analysis and action plan/planning around:
- Implementing and evaluating Well-Being initiatives
- Planning for culturally responsive, explicit social emotional learning
- Supporting integration of social emotional learning and instruction
- Identifying areas of strength and areas for improvement
- Influence and plan professional learning for staff
- Assess school climate and culture
- Shape tiered student supports and interventions
- Identify disparities among students (specifically racial disparities) and provide targeted supports for these student groups
Privacy and identity protection
- Student results are shown in the platform at the topic level. Their individual answers to questions are not displayed. Only staff who work with the student have access to the topic level results.
- For any of the demographic group information, results are only displayed if there are at least five responses. If any portion of a demographic group has less than five responses, those results are aggregated for confidentiality.