Transcripts and Records Information

Student Records

Student records are maintained in the local schools for 5 years after a student graduates or leaves the school division. After this they are sent to the Office of Student Services for permanent storage. A signed consent from a parent or legal guardian is needed, if the student is under 18 years of age. Copies of records are only released to third parties or parents of students age 18 or older with written consent from the student and a copy of a government issued photo ID (driver’s license, non driver’s license, state ID, passport or military ID). Records of students’ psychological and sociocultural assessments, as well as other special education records, are maintained in the school for 5 years after the student graduates or otherwise leaves the school division, then they are destroyed in accordance with state regulations.

Where to Make Your Request for Records

If the student currently attending or last attended Arlington Public Schools in the past 5 years, submit your request to the LAST school attended.

  • If a student attended an APS elementary school and progressed to an APS middle school, the remaining elementary records are at the middle school.
  • If a student attended an APS middle school and progressed to an APS high school, the remaining records are at the high school.

If the student last attended an APS school in the 2011-12 school year or an earlier school year, make your request to the Arlington County Education Center at: 2110 Washington Blvd., Arlington VA 22204

How to Request Records/Transcript

Transcripts can be requested in the following ways:

  1. In person on the second floor of the Syphax Education Center, 2110 Washington Blvd. Arlington, VA 22204.  (Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.)
    To obtain an official transcript, please bring the following:

    • $4 Fee in the form of cash, certified check or a money order (personal checks and credit cards are not accepted)
    • A government issued photo ID (ex: Driver’s License)
    • Social Security cards and Birth Certificates are not accepted                                                                       
  2. Submit a Transcript Request Form by fax or by email for an unofficial copy only.
  3. If the official copy is needed, you must submit the Transcript Request Form by mail along with the $4 fee to:

Syphax Education Center
Attention: Records Clerk

2110 Washington Blvd., Arlington VA 22204

Records Office Phone: 703-228-6180/6062 Fax: 703-228-2433