Please see press release below from May 22 with an update on our new Virtual Summer Learning Program.
Due to the extended stay-at-home order for Northern Virginia, APS will provide summer learning programs and resources via distance learning this summer. Summer distance learning will begin July 20 and conclude on August 14. APS will provide an online secondary summer strengthening program and selected new work social studies classes for students in grades 6-12. APS will provide every elementary student who was identified for summer school prior to the closure with access to online resources and school-based instructional and social-emotional support. More details are available online.
Outdoor Lab Summer Camp: Cancelled for 2020
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the logistics of planning and preparing for the program, the Outdoor Lab Summer Camp for 2020 has been cancelled.
Refunds: If you sent in a check with your application, it will be mailed back to you once the Science Office has returned to working at its Syphax location.
Questions: If you have any questions, please contact Christine Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org
APS 2020 Summer School Catalog has been posted! Please visit the Resources page to view!
Update on 2020 Summer School Programs and Fees:
The following changes were approved by the School Board at the December 19 meeting. The full presentation is available online on BoardDocs.
- The APS Summer Strengthening Program, which runs July 6-31, will continue for elementary students who meet specific eligibility requirements established by the Department of Teaching and Learning.
- Enrollment is by teacher and principal recommendation only for students who are at least one grade-level below in reading and/or math.
- Students eligible for strengthening will be notified during Parent-Teacher conferences on March 5-6. A letter will also be mailed to families indicating student eligibility.
- APS will not be able to offer the following elementary summer enrichment programs in summer 2020: Global Village Summit, Fun with Coding, Math Academy and Summer Laureate. Outdoor Lab sessions will continue for elementary and middle school students. This decision was based on increased challenges in staffing summer school strengthening, as well as anticipated budget reductions for the 2020-21 school year.
- APS has worked closely with the Arlington County Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) to identify similar enrichment program offerings prior to registration opening. Arlington County offers fee reductions for eligible students, making these options comparable in price to APS offerings.
- DPR summer camp registration begins on February 12 at 7 a.m. Lots of fun and enriching experiences for your student, with reduced fees as needed.
- Don’t wait to sign up for a camp until you hear if your student is referred to APS summer school. Spots fill quickly.
- Students who are referred to APS Summer School and must cancel a camp in conflict with APS Summer School can notify DPR by Monday, March 16 to get a full refund. All other cancelations follow DPR Cancelation Policy.
- Make-up and strengthening fee for all programs, PreK-12, will be $150. Students who currently receive free or reduced-price meals will continue to pay $56 for summer classes, and students who receive Extended School Year services, may attend free of charge. The 2020 Secondary Enrichment fees and New Work for Credit fees will remain the same as in 2019.
For a list of alternative summer camps and programs offered by the Arlington County Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) comparable to the summer enrichment programs previously offered by APS during summer school, please visit the following link: https://www.apsva.us/department-of-parks-and-recreation-summer-camps.
- APS Summer Activities Fair on Feb. 7: https://www.apsva.us/summerfair/
- Arlington County Parks & Recreation Summer Camp Catalog: Available online Jan. 29 at http://camps.arlingtonva.us.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
- Submission Saturday: Arlington County Parks & Recreation Offices are open to process fee reductions, answer pre-registration questions and learn how to register online. Saturday February 8 from 9am-4pm. Located at 3700 S. Four Mile Run Drive, Arlington, VA 22206: https://parks.arlingtonva.us/events/submission-saturday/
- Arlington County Parks & Recreation Summer Camp registration begins at 7am on Feb. 12: https://parks.arlingtonva.us/programs/summer-camps/
- APS Summer School registration begins March 5: https://www.apsva.us/summer-school/
- Frequently Asked Questions