Information for the APS 2020 Summer School programs will be posted here in early February.
Registration will open March 5.
Update on 2020 Summer School Programs and Fees:
The following changes were approved by the School Board at the December 19 meeting. The full presentation is available online on BoardDocs.
- The APS Summer Strengthening Program, which runs July 6-31, will continue for elementary students who meet specific eligibility requirements established by the Department of Teaching and Learning.
- Enrollment is by teacher and principal recommendation only for students who are at least one grade-level below in reading and/or math.
- Students eligible for strengthening will be notified during Parent-Teacher conferences on March 5-6. A letter will also be mailed to families indicating student eligibility.
- APS will not be able to offer the following elementary summer enrichment programs in summer 2020: Global Village Summit, Fun with Coding, Math Academy and Summer Laureate. Outdoor Lab sessions will continue for elementary and middle school students. This decision was based on increased challenges in staffing summer school strengthening, as well as anticipated budget reductions for the 2020-21 school year.
- APS is working closely with the Arlington County Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) to identify and share similar offerings prior to registration opening. Arlington County offers fee reductions for eligible students, making these options comparable in price to APS offerings.
- DPR summer camp registration begins on February 12 at 7 a.m. Lots of fun and enriching experiences for your student, with reduced fees as needed.
- Don’t wait to sign up for a camp until you hear if your student is referred to APS summer school. Spots fill quickly.
- Students who are referred to APS Summer School and must cancel a camp in conflict with APS Summer School can notify DPR by Monday, March 16 to get a full refund. All other cancelations follow DPR Cancelation Policy.
- Make-up and strengthening fee for all programs, PreK-12, will be $150. Students who currently receive free or reduced-price meals will continue to pay $56 for summer classes, and students who receive Extended School Year services, may attend free of charge. The 2020 Secondary Enrichment fees and New Work for Credit fees will remain the same as in 2019.
- APS Summer Activities Fair on Feb. 7: https://www.apsva.us/summerfair/
- Arlington County Parks & Recreation Summer Camp Catalog: Available online Jan. 29 at http://camps.arlingtonva.us.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
- Submission Saturday: Arlington County Parks & Recreation Offices are open to process fee reductions, answer pre-registration questions and learn how to register online. Saturday February 8 from 9am-4pm. Located at 3700 S. Four Mile Run Drive, Arlington, VA 22206: https://parks.arlingtonva.us/events/submission-saturday/
- Arlington County Parks & Recreation Summer Camp registration begins at 7am on Feb. 12: https://parks.arlingtonva.us/programs/summer-camps/
- APS Summer School registration begins March 5: https://www.apsva.us/summer-school/
- Frequently Asked Questions