Looking for reading material? This page highlights a few suggestions to explore.
Award Winning Books for Children
- The Newbery Medal is awarded annually to the most distinguished American book for children that was published in the previous year.
List of Newbery Medal-winning books
- The Caldecott Medal is awarded annually to the most distinguished American picture book for children that was published in the previous year.
List of Caldecott Medal-winning books
- The Walter Dean Myers Award for Outstanding Children’s Literature is awarded annually to recognize diverse authors whose works feature diverse main characters and address diversity in a meaningful way.
List of Walter Award-winning books
- Visit the American Library Association – Association for Library Service to Children website for more information about these and other children’s literary awards.
Title I Staff Favorites
APS classroom teachers, reading specialists, and Title I staff are great resources! We encourage students and parents to ask for recommendations.
Check out these pdf lists of some of our favorite books.
- Books for Families to Read Aloud
- Fiction for Beginning Readers
- Kindergarten-1st Grade Fiction Picture Books
- Fairy Tales, Folklore, Legends, and Mythology
Recommendations from the Library
The librarians at your school and your local library are also great resources. We encourage students and parents to ask them for recommendations.
- Check out the Arlington Public Library’s book lists for kids.
You might also enjoy visiting the library during one of their story times.
Recommendations from Literacy Organizations
- The International Literacy Association and the Children’s Book Council. cosponsor the Children’s Choices Reading List, a list that includes brief reviews of approximately 100 titles, each of which has been recommended by children for children.
- Colorín Colorado has assembled a book list inspired by our area’s Cherry Blossom Festival, complete with books that celebrate the Cherry Blossom’s role in cultures both locally and around the world. See the list at their website: Cherry Blossoms: Folk Tales, Friendship, and Photos.
Authors Featured at Title I Events
Some of the authors that have recently worked with APS students at Title I Family Literacy Events include:
- Fred Bowen
- Ginjer Clark
- Pamela Duncan Edwards
- Ralph Fletcher
- Megan Hicks, “The Origami Swami”
- Matt Holm
- Kim Norman
- Jerry Pallotta
- Sharon Gaston
- Eric Litwin
- Groovy Nate
Other recent literacy- and numeracy-oriented guests have included:
Free Online Books
Some organizations now offer full text of select books to read online.
- International Children’s Digital Library
- Reading Reading Books -free printable books (and corresponding activities) for beginning readers
Reading Selections for Parents
These reading selections from the U.S. Department of Education may be of interest to parents of Title I students.
- Helping Your Child Learn Mathematics
- Helping Your Child Become a Reader
- Helping Your Child With Homework
- Helping Your Child Succeed in School
- Helping Your Child Through Early Adolescence
- Helping Your Child Become a Responsible Citizen
- More from the United States Department of Education’s Helping Your Child series
- More information for parents on the United States Department of Education website