Promoting the development of reading skills:
- Let your child see you read.
- Read to and with your child everyday.
- Go to the library. (Try a storytime!)
- Give books as gifts.
Activities that promote comprehension:
- Preview the book. Look at the pictures.
- Discuss what the book may be about.
- While reading, make predictions about what may happen.
- Check your predictions.
- Think about what makes sense.
- Create a picture in your mind.
- Think about the important ideas to remember.
- Correct your reading when things aren’t right.
- Talk about the book.
- Tell what this book reminds you of: something you have done, something you have seen, something you have read…
- Act out the story.
- Make a story map.
- Pick new books!
Promoting The Development Of Writing Skills
- Talk, talk, talk.
- Tell stories
- Send letters and emails to friends and family.
- Praise all your child’s attempts.