Student/Passenger Safety Standards
The school bus is considered an extension of the school and school rules also apply to the bus. Buses also have additional rules to ensure safety during transport.
Meeting and Boarding the Bus
- Ride only the bus or buses assigned to them, except when exempted by proper authority.
- Be on time. Arrive at least 10 minutes before the scheduled time for the bus to arrive at the bus stop.
- Stay out of and away from the street.
- Not engage in activities that will endanger themselves or their companions while waiting at the bus stop.
- Board the bus in an orderly manner.
- Parents should monitor and supervise young children at bus stops. It is strongly recommended that parent or designee accompany children to and from the bus stop location.
- Always cross the street in front of the bus. Wave to the driver to be sure he or she can see you crossing.
Conduct on the Bus
Students riding on school buses should recognize and observe the following:
- Driver/Attendant is the authority on the bus
- Keep your mask on.
- Except for the purposes of exiting at one’s bus stop, remain seated, facing forward until directed by the driver to do otherwise.
- Driver/Attendant is authorized to assign seats
- Cooperate with the Driver/Attendant
- Observe classroom conduct when on the bus
- Be courteous, use no profane language
- Do not eat or drink on the bus
- Keep the bus clean
- Do not smoke or vape
- Do not damage bus or equipment
- Keep your head, hands, and feet inside the bus
- Do not fight, push or shove
- Do not bring pets on the bus
- Do not carry any flammable liquids, live animals, birds, explosives, acids, and other dangerous articles or weapons.
- Do not bring large objects on the bus that will reduce seating or block aisles
- Do not block emergency exits or exit any bus through the emergency door/exit unless directed to do so by the bus driver.
- Do not climb through a window / exit or extend any part of the body out of windows of any bus, except when necessary to preserve the safety of any person under emergency conditions.
- Do not throw objects inside bus or through bus windows
- Do not make noises outside of bus windows
- Do not make obscene or inappropriate gestures through bus windows
Supervised Bus Trips
The rules outlined above will apply to supervised, school sponsored bus trips (such as field trips and athletic or other contest).