Arlington Public Schools encourages its communities to utilize healthy, green transportation options when traveling to and from APS schools and sites.Walking or biking to school makes us healthier, activates our brains, helps us build community, share experiences, save money, and help the environment.
Benefits of walking or biking to school:
- Walking one mile to and from school each day is two-thirds of the recommended sixty minutes of physical activity a day. Students who walk to school have higher levels of physical activity throughout the day.
- Studies show that students who walk and bicycle to school are more physically active, have lower body mass index scores, and have lower obesity levels than students who are driven or bused to school.
- Walking and biking are better for the environment, help reduce vehicle traffic caused by drop-offs/pick-ups, and allow students a chance to socialize before and after school.
Become a Crossing Guard with Arlington County!
Now hiring for the 2020-21 school year
Arlington County is seeking School Crossing Guards for Arlington Public Schools located around the county to provide vehicular and pedestrian traffic control and to promote maximum safety in the movement of children to and from schools. Arlington Public Schools serve a diverse population, including parents and children for whom English is a second language. The work is normally limited to those hours during which school is opening, recessing or closing, but may be changed at short notice due to bad weather or other emergencies. Specific duties include:
- Directing traffic at school crossings and assisting school children and other pedestrians crossing the street;
- Reporting accidents and directing traffic until officers arrive;
- Promoting safety awareness and advising officers of safety problems at school crossings;
- Turning on/off winkomatic traffic control device and reporting malfunctions to supervisor for repair; and
- Performing biannual pedestrian and vehicle counts at crossings.
The successful employee will report promptly either with personal or public transportation; be accessible during school hours by telephone in order to respond to emergency schedule changes; exercise mature and alert judgment; direct vehicular and pedestrian traffic; deal firmly and courteously with the public, particularly school age children; and be willing to work in all types of weather. Apply today!