Become a Crossing Guard with Arlington County!
Arlington County’s Police Department is seeking School Crossing Guards for Arlington Public Schools (APS) located around the County to provide vehicular and pedestrian traffic control and to promote maximum safety in the movement of children to and from schools.
Our School Crossing Guards serve a diverse population, including parents and children for whom English is a second language. The work is normally limited to those hours during which school is opening, recessing or closing, but may be changed at short notice due to bad weather or other emergencies.
Specific duties include:
- Directing traffic at school crossings and assisting school children and other pedestrians crossing the street;
- Reporting accidents and directing traffic until officers arrive;
- Promoting safety awareness and advising officers of safety problems at school crossings;
- Turning on/off winkomatic traffic control device and reporting malfunctions to supervisor for repair; and
- Performing bi-annual pedestrian and vehicle counts at crossings.
The successful employee will report promptly either with personal or public transportation; be accessible during school hours by telephone in order to respond to emergency schedule changes; exercise mature and alert judgment; direct vehicular and pedestrian traffic; deal firmly and courteously with the public, particularly school age children; and be willing to work in all types of weather.