- Someone who could serve as an additional support for writing conferences (providing students with feedback on their writing based on checklists) or someone who could take part in small group guided reading activities (students read aloud and the support person would listen and review previously learned skills lessons—help with student application and provide feedback.)
Volunteers should have experience in English instruction and should be comfortable working one on one or with small groups of students reviewing skills. For more information please contact Alam Lainez at email@example.com
Stratford Program seeks volunteers who enjoy working with students
- Stratford is a specialized program with students who have a range of different abilities. We are seeking volunteers who are interested in attending the pool with us every Thursday from 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM. We swim at the Washington-Lee pool throughout the school year. A pool membership will not be necessary as you will be accompanying our students during this time.
- Stratford is also seeking volunteers for inside the classroom. If you enjoy reading, art, or any kind of academics this is for you. Life skills classes meet every Monday at 10:00 AM or Wednesday at 1:00 PM. For more information please contact Karen Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jefferson Middle School needs Math tutors
- Every week Jefferson has a drop in math clinic to help students with their math homework after school. Math topics range from 6th grade math to 8th grade geometry. You need not be an expert to help out, just have a good understanding of basic math and algebra. Math clinic runs from 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM every Wednesday. No long term commitment necessary, come when you are available. If Wednesday’s aren’t a possibility there are small group math help sessions available on other days of the week. If interested contact Jeremy Siegel, Activities coordinator at email@example.com
Kenmore Middle School needs Mentors/Tutors
- Kenmore Middle School is currently recruiting empty nesters, folks with flexible work schedules and recently retired good Samaritans to help start a mentoring/tutoring program after school. There will be a short orientation/training and very flexible hours. Language Arts and Math tutors are needed Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 to 4:15 pm. All volunteers must submit the Arlington Public Schools Volunteer Application. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Arlington Even Start Family Literacy Program seeks volunteers for pre-school classroom
- Even Start, a family literacy program located at Barcroft Elementary School, is in need of volunteers to assist the pre-school teacher with the care and education of two- and three-year old students while their parents attend ESL classes. The program runs from 9am-12pm, Monday-Friday. We are open to all levels of time commitments. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Gunston Middle School
A well established intergenerational program at Gunston works with 6th graders who are in the ESL (English as a Second Language) and HILT (High Intensity Language Teaching) programs. The volunteer meets every Wednesday morning (either 9:50 a- noon or 12:05 – 1:35 pm) with 3 – 5 students. For more information contact Luis Matos at firstname.lastname@example.org
Arlington Community High School seeks volunteers to help in all subjects
- Arlington Community H.S. Tutoring Center needs volunteers to tutor in all subjects, especially math. Lunch hour is the busiest time, but students are in the center from 8 am – 3 pm and in the evenings from 5 – 8 pm, so choose a time that works best for you. If interested in tutoring please contact Vasthy Delgado at email@example.com or call 703-228-5350.
Arlington Public Schools seeks volunteers to assist Communities In Schools program
- APS is seeking volunteers to tutor, and support students and programs at Gunston Middle School, Wakefield and Arlington Community High Schools. For information about volunteering opportunities at these locations please contact Communities in Schools (CIS) at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about any of these opportunities, please contact 703-228-2581.