The Arlington Public Schools is accepting applications from members of the Washington-Lee community who are interested in serving on the Renaming Committee. Current Washington-Lee students, parents and staff, as well as W-L alumni and neighboring civic association members who are interested in serving on the committee are asked to click here to complete the online form.
Applications will be accepted through Sat, Aug. 17, 2018, and the proposed members will be notified by Tue, Sept. 4, 2018 and will be presented for approval by the School Board on Thu, Sept. 6, 2018.
On June 7, 2018, the School Board adopted a revised policy for Naming of Facilities (F-6.1). The policy describes how APS manages Requests to Rename Schools/Facilities. To date, APS has received nearly 100 request to rename Washington-Lee H.S. and on June 7, 2018, the School Board directed staff to undertake a renaming process for the school.
In the fall of 2018, School and Community Relations will partner with an external facilitator and the principal of Washington-Lee High School to manage a renaming for Washington-Lee that meets the criteria defined by the Naming of Facilities Policy.
What is the Timeline?
Timeline for Engagement Process
|School Board Meeting Schedule:
|Pre-Engagement Schedule August, 2018:
How can I participate?
Participating in Community Engagement Strategies and Activities –
An APS School Talk message will go out to the W-L community week of August 6 with a link to an application form for individuals who are interested in participating as a member of the Renaming Committee. Announcements will also be sent to the connected civic associations and alumni groups. Community engagement will be, in part, a responsibility of the committee members to solicit recommendations and input from their corresponding constituent groups. Engagement may include:
- Share summary of each meeting with the WL Committee via School Talk and email
- Encourage members to add the topic to group meetings for discussion (staff meetings, student committees, PTA, civic associations, alumni, etc.)
- Develop process and solicit classroom input from students
- Share online input form with PTA, civic associations, staff, alumni and other related listserves
- Provide opportunity for a set amount of time for “community speakers” at each committee meeting
- Policy F-6.1 Naming of Facilities https://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/arlington/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=B26QVF6B23A6#
- PIP 50-1.10 – Naming of Facilities