Recent Events: A great time was enjoyed by all!
Thank you to everyone who participated or came out to support our World Languages celebration!
Students and teachers K – 12 provided delightful performances from various languages and cultures that were much appreciated by those attending.
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
What: Speaking in Tongues a documentary by Patchwork Films followed by facilitated round table discussions. Immersion Principals Jessica Panfil, Marleny Perdomo, Dr. Lori Wiggins, and Dr. Chris Willmore, and Supervisor of World Languages Elisabeth Harrington will be hosting an evening to view the film Speaking in Tongues followed by discussion on bilingualism and biliteracy.
When: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 from 7:00PM-9:00 PM
Where: Wakefield High School 1325 S. Dinwiddie Street Arlington, VA
Wednesday, March 6, 2019
What: Celebration of our K-12 World Language Students’ Accomplishments The World Languages Office will be hosting our annual K-12 student showcasing of their language skills. Come watch choirs sing, student skits, and more!
When: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 from 4:00PM-6:00 PM
Where: Career Center 816 S. Walter Reed Drive Arlington, VA
Click here to view the program
“Students communicating enthusiastically about a variety of topics and in multiple contexts while enriching their lives and preparing for a successful future.”
Announcements and Resources:
- For information regarding course offerings and diploma requirements please see: World Languages Programs 2018-19
- The World Languages Office is excited to host a celebration to honor National Foreign Language Week.
- When: March 7, 2018 from 4:30-6:30pm
- Where: Career Center, 816 S Walter Reed Dr, Arlington, VA 22204
- Why: To honor Arlington’s diversity, languages and the learning of new world languages.
- Alpha Mu Gamma is the Official Sponsor of National Foreign Language Week. For the history of National Foreign Language week, please click here.
- APS was awarded a STARTALK grant for the 11th consecutive year. The STARTALK grant to teach Arabic and Chinese is a free intensive 3-week summer school program. STARTALK is held during the first three weeks of APS Summer School and is offered for rising 6-8 grade students. For more information, visit the STARTALK section of the website by clicking the menu link on the left.
- We had a successful Credit-by-Exam on November 7, 2017. Students in levels IV and beyond will have an opportunity to test this spring in order to qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy.
- Benefits of language learning
- Secondary Curriculum Frameworks and Language Level Expectations
- Seal of Biliteracy
School Board Value:
“All APS students should be proficient in at least two languages upon graduation and should have access to world language proficiency programs regardless of school of attendance.” (adopted as part of the FLES matrix by the Board on December 16, 2010)