“Students communicating enthusiastically about a variety of topics and in multiple contexts while enriching their lives and preparing for a successful future”
School Board Value:
“All APS students should be proficient in at least two languages upon graduation and should have access to world language proficiency programs regardless of school of attendance.”
(adopted as part of the FLES matrix by the Board on December 16, 2010)
Announcements and Resources:
- We had a successful Credit-by-Exam on November 8, 2016. Students in levels IV and beyond will have an opportunity to test this spring in order to qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy.
- Arlington Public Schools has applied for the STARTALK federal grant to teach Arabic and Chinese in an intensive 3-week summer school program during July 2017 for the eleventh consecutive year. STARTALK is always held the first three weeks of APS Summer School and is offered for rising 6th-8th graders.
- Presentation from Secondary Language Options Open House, January 6, 2016.
- Benefits of language learning
- Secondary Curriculum Frameworks and Language Level Expectations
- Seal of Biliteracy