This overview of registration requirements is also provided in the Guidebook for Parents, available for elementary, middle and high school parents.
- Children who reach their fifth birthday on or before Sept. 30 may enter kindergarten.
- Registration begins Feb. 1 for the following school year.
- There is no deadline for registration, however, parents are encouraged to register early.
- All registration and health requirements must be met for a child to be admitted.
Kindergarten is recommended, but not required by law. However, you must inform the school system in writing if you decide not to register your child. If your child will be six years old by Sept. 30, Virginia Law requires you to enroll your child in school.
Where to Register
The process of registration is done in person (by the parent or legal guardian). Electronic documents will not be accepted.
- If your child speaks a language other than English as his/her first language, or has been attending an educational system abroad, register your child by contacting the Language Services Registration Center at 703-228-7663.
- In all other cases, register at your neighborhood school or at the school where your child has been admitted. The searchable boundary locator can be used to determine your child’s neighborhood school for this school year.
Documentation Needed to Register Your Child
- Proof of the child’s age and legal name –a birth certificate. If the parent/guardian cannot provide a birth certificate, an Affidavit must be completed. APS has the right to forward a copy of the Affidavit to its law enforcement agency.
- Proof that the parent or legal guardian of the student lives in Arlington County:
- a current lease signed by lessor and lessee or tenant and landlord to show that the parent/guardian resides in Arlington County; or
- a mortgage agreement showing that the parent/guardian owns a home and resides in Arlington County;
- or a sworn affidavit from the owner or lessee of the residence to show that a family and student reside with them in Arlington County (Form A and Form B-Residency Statement of Parents/Guardians and Statement of Arlington Resident). Forms A and B are only valid for six months and must be refiled within five days of expiration or the student shall be withdrawn from APS. A current copy of the resident’s mortgage or lease must accompany all forms A and B. The school registrar will forward a copy to the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services for monitoring and follow-up.
- Official school records from another school system or country, if applicable and available
- Medical information that includes immunization records as well as a physical examination and a tuberculosis screening done within the 12 months prior to starting school (See Health Requirements below.)
- The student’s medical information (examination, immunizations and tuberculosis screening) must be submitted on a Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form (PDF). The immunization record should list the month, day and year of immunization for the minimum requirements for entry to school. This form must be completed no longer than one year before your child’s entry into school.
- Tuberculosis Screening Certificate completed within the 12 months prior to school entry is required. This documentation must be signed by a physician, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, or local health department official. The documentation must include verification of a negative risk assessment or the results of a tuberculin skin test (TST) done within the prior 12 months. The original documentation must be submitted to the child’s school.
- For students who plan to participate in high school sports, the VHSL physical form for high school athletic eligibility (PDF) must be completed.
- If your child will need medications or special procedures during school, you may visit the Arlington County School Health webpage for additional forms, including a Severe Allergy Care Plan at: Department of Public Health
Questions can be answered by the nurse at each Arlington school or by the school health office at 703-228-1626 or 1653.
- Proof of Student Identity and Age form (only for those students who cannot furnish a birth certificate at the time of registration)
- Statement of Affirmation form
- Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form
- Tuberculosis Screening Certificate
- Proof of Residency
There are many school options available within Arlington Public Schools for new and current students.