Update June 1, 2020: Since all APS school buildings are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, families are only able to register students online at this time. Registrations are currently being accepted for the 2020-21 school year. Only students new to APS need to register. Once students are registered, students do not need to be registered again each school year. Families should visit the Conditional Online Registration webpage for additional information on how to register their child online.
This overview of registration requirements is also provided in the Guidebook for Parents, available for elementary, middle and high school families.
- Children who reach their fifth birthday on or before Sept. 30 may enter kindergarten.
- Registration begins Feb. 1 for the following school year.
- There is no deadline for registration; however, parents are encouraged to register early.
- All registration and health requirements must be met for a child to be admitted.
Kindergarten is recommended, but not required by law. However, you must inform the school system in writing if you decide not to register your child. If your child will be six years old by Sept. 30, Virginia Law requires you to enroll your child in school. Please send your correspondence to the Director of Elementary Education and Early Childhood Pre-K Programs Wendy Pilch in the Office of Early Childhood at 2110 Washington Blvd. Arlington, VA 22204.
Where to Register
The process of registration is done in person (by the parent or legal guardian). Electronic documents are not accepted.
- If your child speaks a language other than English as his/her first language, or has been attending an educational system abroad, register your child by contacting the Language Services Registration Center at 703-228-7663.
- In all other cases, register at your neighborhood school or at the school where your child has been admitted. The searchable boundary locator can be used to determine your child’s neighborhood school for this school year.
Documentation Needed to Register Your Child
- Proof of the child’s age and legal name – a birth certificate. Families are required to present an official translation of the birth certificate if the birth certificate is not in English. If the parent/guardian cannot provide a birth certificate, an Affidavit must be completed. APS has the right to forward a copy of the Affidavit to its law enforcement agency.
- Proof that the parent or legal guardian of the student lives in Arlington County:
- A current lease signed by lessor and lessee or tenant and landlord to show that the parent/guardian resides in Arlington County; or
- A deed or deed of trust showing that the parent/guardian owns a home and resides in Arlington County (mortgage statements are not accepted as proof of residency); or
- A sworn affidavit from the owner or lessee of the residence to show that a family and student reside with them in Arlington County (Proof of Arlington County Residency Form A and Form B – Residency Statement of Parents/Guardians and Statement of Arlington Resident). Proof of Arlington County Residency Forms A and B are only valid until the end of the school year they were submitted. These forms must be updated and resubmitted at the start of every school year to verify residency. A current copy of the resident’s mortgage or lease must accompany all forms A and B.
- Any two of the following supporting documents that show the parent or legal guardian’s name and address: Current federal, state or property tax returns; Current payroll or withholding statement; Vehicle registration; Current utility bills; Valid Virginia driver’s license with current address; Documentation of financial assistance from Arlington County.
- Official school records from another school system or country, if applicable and available
- Medical information that includes immunization records as well as a physical examination and a tuberculosis screening done within the 12 months prior to starting school (See Health Requirements below.)
- The student’s medical information (examination, immunizations and tuberculosis screening) must be submitted on a Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form (PDF). The immunization record should list the month, day and year of immunization for the minimum requirements for entry to school. This form must be completed no longer than one year before your child’s entry into school.
- Tuberculosis Screening Certificate completed within the 12 months prior to school entry is required. This documentation must be signed by a physician, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, or local health department official. The documentation must include verification of a negative risk assessment or the results of a tuberculin skin test (TST) done within the prior 12 months. The original documentation must be submitted to the child’s school.
- For students who plan to participate in high school sports, the VHSL physical form for high school athletic eligibility and the APS Athletic Participation Agreement must be completed.
- If your child will need medications or special procedures during school, you may visit the Arlington County School Health webpage for additional forms, including a Medication Authorization Form and a Severe Allergy Care Plan.
Please note: Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of the Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the seventh grade (instead of the sixth grade as in previous years).
Questions can be answered by the nurse at the school(s) your child(ren) attend or by contacting the School Health Bureau at (703) 228-1653.
- Student Registration Requirements English | Spanish
- Student Registration Checklist English | Spanish
- Student Registration Form English | Spanish
- Affidavit – Proof of Student Identity and Age English | Spanish (Only for those students who cannot furnish a birth certificate at the time of registration)
- Pre-K Experience Form English | Spanish
- Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form
- Tuberculosis Screening Certificate
- Proof of Residency
School Options & Transfers
There are many school options and transfers available within Arlington Public Schools for new and current students. Please visit the School Options & Transfers page for additional information.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or email@example.com.