Registrations are currently being accepted for the 2022-23 school year. Only students new to APS need to register.
Every student is guaranteed a space in the neighborhood school designated by their home address. Use the School Boundary (Attendance Zone) Locator to find out which school is designated as your neighborhood school. Learn more about each school in our annual Guidebook for Parents.
- Online. (Requires uploading documents and setting up a virtual or in-person meeting with an APS Registrar.)
- At your neighborhood school. Contact the school to schedule an appointment or to submit registration documents.
- At the APS Welcome Center (2110 Washington Blvd., 1st floor), Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 703-228-8000 (select option 3 – Registration) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
- Registration is available for a school year to children who are between ages 5 and 18 on Sept. 30 of that school year.
- Students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and English Learners may be eligible for school until age 22.
- Limited services are available for students over 18. Contact the Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or email@example.com for more information.
- Children who turn five years old on or by September 30th of the current school year may enter kindergarten.
- Kindergarten is recommended, but not required by law.
- Families that choose not to enroll their student in Kindergarten must inform the Office of Elementary Education and Early Childhood Pre-K Programs in writing (Send correspondence to: 2110 Washington Blvd., Arlington, VA 22204 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Virginia Law requires all children who will turn six years old by Sept. 30 to enroll in school.
Additional Registration Information
- APS does not register students who have terminal diplomas.
- Registration begins Feb. 1 for the following school year.
- There is no deadline for registration; however, parents are encouraged to register early.
- All registration and health requirements must be met for a child to be enrolled.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD:
Parents/legal guardians are required to show proof that they live with their child in Arlington County.
|If a family owns or rents property||If a family lives in the residence of someone else (shared housing)|
|ONE of the following documents must be provided:
||THREE documents must be provided:|
|Any TWO supporting documents that include the parent’s/legal guardians name and address:
|Proof of Student’s Age and Legal Name|
|Proof of Parent Identity and Relationship to Student|
|Any valid Government Issued Photo Identification||
|Additional Education Documents|
|If registering for Kindergarten||If applicable|
|All New Students (Pre-K to 12th)||Grade Specific (Effective July 1, 2021)|
Only New Elementary Students (Pre-K to 5th)
|Rising 7th Graders:
Rising 12th Graders:
*The immunization record should list the month, day and year of immunization for the minimum requirements for entry to school. See the Virginia Department of Health School Minimum Immunization Requirements (English | Spanish).
**Original Tuberculosis test or screening documentation must be submitted and:
***Parents may “opt out” of the HPV requirement by simply not getting the vaccine. No letter or certification of “opt out” status is required.
SPORTS – Students planning to participate in high school sports must complete a VHSL physical form for high school athletic eligibility and APS Athletic Participation Agreement.
MEDICATIONS – If your child will need medications or special procedures during school, visit Arlington County School Health for additional forms (Medication Authorization Form, Severe Allergy Care Plan, etc.).
QUESTIONS – Contact the Nurse at the school your child will attend or Arlington’s School Health Bureau at 703-228-1651.
Contact 703-228-8000 (option 3) or email@example.com prior to registration if:
- Enrolling a child for whom you are not the Parent or Legal Guardian (Kinship Care)
- Student is an unaccompanied minor
- Student is being placed by Social Services
- Student is 18 or over
Option Schools & Neighborhood Transfers
Arlington Public Schools provides families the opportunity to apply to an option school or request a transfer to a neighborhood school that is accepting transfers. The Superintendent’s Annual Update to the School Board, held in January, will identify the number of seats available during the following school year for neighborhood schools that can accept transfers. Visit the School Options & Transfers page to learn more and how to apply if interested.
For additional information or questions, contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org