Registering Your Child

Update Sept. 18, 2020: Since all APS school buildings are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, families are only able to register students online at this time. Registrations are currently being accepted for the 2020-21 school year. Only students new to APS need to register. Families should visit the Conditional Online Registration webpage for additional information on how to register their child online. Families unable to complete the registration process online are able to register by using the Student Registration Document Drop Off Process. The School Health Entry Requirements for the 2020-21 school year have been extended, so please visit the “School health Forms” section below for additional information.

This overview of registration requirements is also provided in the Guidebook for Parents, available for elementary, middle and high school families.

Age Requirement

  • Registration is available for a school year to children who are between ages 5 and 18 on Sept. 30 of that school year.
  • Students with an IEP and English Learners may be eligible for school until age 22.
  • Limited services are available for students over 18.  Contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or for more information.

Additional Registration Information

  • APS does not register students who have terminal diplomas.
  • Registration begins Feb. 1 for the following school year.
  • There is no deadline for registration; however, parents are encouraged to register early.
  • All registration and health requirements must be met for a child to be admitted.


Kindergarten is recommended, but not required by law. However, you must inform the school system in writing if you decide not to register your child. If your child will be six years old by Sept. 30, Virginia Law requires you to enroll your child in school. Please send your correspondence to the Director of Elementary Education and Early Childhood Pre-K Programs Wendy Pilch in the Office of Early Childhood at 2110 Washington Blvd. Arlington, VA 22204.

Where to Register

Registration for all students is currently being conducted online. Visit the Conditional Online Registration webpage for additional information on how to register online.

Families registering students with the following special circumstances are encouraged to contact the APS prior to registering for special guidance.

Special Circumstance Who to contact prior to registration
Registering a child for whom you are not the Parent or Legal Guardian (Kinship Care) APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or
Children experiencing homelessness Homeless Liaison at 571-255-0631 or
Unaccompanied Minors APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or
Children placed by Social Services APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or
Students 18 or over  APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or

Documents Needed to Register Your Child

  • Student Registration Checklist English | Spanish
  • Student Registration Form English | Spanish
  • Proof of Residency
    • One primary document supporting residency
      • A current lease agreement or deed; or
      • Residency Forms A & B for parents who live with their child in the residence of someone else. APS is temporarily accepting these documents without polarization.
    • And any two of the following supporting documents that show your name and address: Current federal, state or property tax returns; Current payroll or withholding statement; Vehicle registration; Current utility bills; Valid Virginia driver’s license with current address; Documentation of financial assistance from Arlington County.
  • Proof of student’s age and legal name – an original birth certificate or certified copy translated into English, if necessary.
    • If the birth certificate is not available, families should submit the Proof Of Student Identity and Age Affidavit instead
  • Valid government-issued identification for the parent – a government-issued ID can only be used to verify identity, not Arlington residency

Additional Educational Documents

  • Current Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan
  • English Learner or Gifted records
  • School records or official transcripts from the previous school attended
  • If you are registering your child for Kindergarten, complete the PreK Experience Form English (fillable)| Spanish

Health Requirements

The School Health Entry Requirements for the 2020-21 school year have been extended and families have additional time to submit these documents. Please visit the following document to view the new requirement dates: School Health Entry Requirement Dates for the 2020-21 School Year.

  1. The student’s medical information (examination, immunizations and tuberculosis screening) must be submitted on a Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form (PDF). The immunization record should list the month, day and year of immunization for the minimum requirements for entry to school. This form must be completed no longer than one year before your child’s entry into school.
  2. Tuberculosis Screening Certificate completed within the 12 months prior to school entry is required. This documentation must be signed by a physician, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, or local health department official. The documentation must include verification of a negative risk assessment or the results of a tuberculin skin test (TST) done within the prior 12 months. The original documentation must be submitted to the child’s school.
  3. For students who plan to participate in high school sports, the VHSL physical form for high school athletic eligibility and the APS Athletic Participation Agreement must be completed.
  4. If your child will need medications or special procedures during school, you may visit the Arlington County School Health webpage for additional forms, including a Medication Authorization Form and a Severe Allergy Care Plan.

Please note: Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of the Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the seventh grade (instead of the sixth grade as in previous years).

Questions can be answered by the nurse at the school(s) your child(ren) attend or by contacting the School Health Bureau at (703) 228-1653.

School Options & Transfers

There are many school options and transfers available within Arlington Public Schools for new and current students. Please visit the School Options & Transfers page for additional information.

For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or