Kindergarten Information Night was held on January 25, 2021 at 7 p.m., where families learned about the registration process and learned more about their neighborhood and option schools for the 2021-22 school year. If you missed the event, watch the Kindergarten Information Night video or view the PowerPoint presentation. In addition, each elementary school offers a school-based information session for families.
Every student is guaranteed admission to the neighborhood school designated by their home address. Use the School Boundary (Attendance Zone) Locator to find out which school is designated as your neighborhood school.
Dates for school year 2022-23 will be provided soon
|Elementary School Options & Transfers Application Timeline|
|Application Window: OPEN||Feb. 1 – April 15, 2021|
|Application Deadline||April 15, 2021 at 4 p.m.|
|Lottery||April 22, 2021|
|Lottery Notification||April 30, 2021|
|Accept/Decline||May 14, 2021|
General Elementary School Options & Transfers Application Information for School Year 2021-22
- Student Registration: Families are able to register new elementary school students by using the Conditional Online Registration Process. Once a student has been registered to attend APS, families do not need to complete the registration process unless a student is withdrawn from APS.
- Option Schools: Arlington Traditional, Campbell, Claremont, Montessori Public School of Arlington, and Key.
- Neighborhood Transfers: APS is unable to offer elementary neighborhood transfers for the 2021-22 school year; however, targeted transfers will be available for students who attend Abingdon Elementary School to transfer to Dr. Charles R. Drew Elementary School. Additional detail will be shared soon.
- Information Night: Watch the Kindergarten Information Night video or view the PowerPoint presentation. In addition, each elementary school offers a school-based information session for families.
- Lottery Information: The lotteries for all elementary option schools were held on Thursday, April 22, 2021. The recording of the lotteries will be available online.
- Waitlists: The waitlist for elementary option schools is maintained year-round, and families will be notified if they are on the waitlist and a seat becomes available. All waitlists reset when the options and transfers period begins each year, so families must reapply if they are still interested in attending a school or program they applied to previously.
- Sibling Preference: Siblings who will be concurrently enrolled at the same elementary school will receive priority in admission.
- Transportation: Transportation is available for students attending option schools/programs who live outside their school’s walk zone (View school bus eligibility maps). All transportation for option school and programs is provided via hub stops. Hub stops are central locations—such as a community center or school—where students from several neighborhoods meet to catch the bus to their school and may be a longer distance from a student’s residence. Transportation is not provided for neighborhood transfers or administrative placements. Select here to learn more about transportation for option schools.
- TO APPLY: Submit an Elementary Option School Application through the online application portal.
Pre-K and elementary school lottery information for SY 2020-21 for students who received an offer through the secondary lottery for an option school/program or neighborhood transfer.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or email@example.com.