Virtual Kindergarten Information Night will be held on Monday, January 31, 2022, at 6:30 p.m. Families will be able to watch the event by clicking on the link that will be posted on this page by Monday, January 31 at 6 p.m.
There will be a virtual Extended Day presentation following Kindergarten Information Night.
Families will learn about the kindergarten registration process and the available neighborhood and option schools for the 2022-23 school year. In addition, each elementary school will offer a school-based virtual information session for families between February and April.
Every student is guaranteed admission to the neighborhood school designated by their home address. Use the School Boundary (Attendance Zone) Locator to find out which school is designated as your neighborhood school.
Dates for the school year 2022-23
|Elementary School Options & Transfers Application Timeline|
|Application Window||Feb. 1, 2022 at 4 p.m. – April 15, 2022 at 4pm|
|Application Deadline||April 15, 2022 at 4 p.m.|
|Lottery||April 22, 2022|
|Lottery Notification||April 29, 2022|
|Accept/Decline||May 13, 2022|
General Elementary School Options & Transfers Application Information for School Year 2022-23
- Student Registration: Families are able to register new elementary school students by using the Conditional Online Registration Process. Once a student has been registered to attend APS, families do not need to complete the registration process unless a student is withdrawn from APS.
- Option Schools: Arlington Traditional, Campbell, Claremont, Montessori Public School of Arlington, and Key.
- Neighborhood Transfers: Updates for the 2022-2023 school year will be provided soon.
- Information Night: Virtual Kindergarten Information Night will be on Monday, January 31, 2022. Watch last school-year’s Kindergarten Information Night video or view the PowerPoint presentation. In addition, each elementary school will offer a school-based information session for families.
- Lottery Information: The lotteries for all elementary option schools will be held on Friday, April 22, 2022. A recording of the lotteries will be available online.
- Waitlists: The waitlist for elementary option schools is maintained year-round, and families will be notified if they are on the waitlist and a seat becomes available. All waitlists reset when the options and transfers period begins each year, so families must reapply if they are still interested in attending a school or program they applied to previously.
- Sibling Preference: Siblings who will be concurrently enrolled at the same elementary school will receive priority in admission.
- Transportation: Transportation is available for students attending option schools/programs who live outside their school’s walk zone (View school bus eligibility maps). All transportation for option school and programs is provided via hub stops. Hub stops are central locations—such as a community center or school—where students from several neighborhoods meet to catch the bus to their school and may be a longer distance from a student’s residence. Transportation is not provided for neighborhood transfers or administrative placements. Select here to learn more about transportation for option schools.
- TO APPLY: Submit an Elementary Option School Application through the online application portal.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.