For the 2020-21 school year, Arlington Public Schools will have 24 elementary schools, which include a blend of neighborhood and option schools.
Every student is guaranteed admission to the neighborhood school designated by their home address. Use the School Boundary (Attendance Zone) Locator to find out which school is designated as your neighborhood school.
*APS is not able to offer elementary neighborhood transfers for the 2020-21 school year at this time.
|Elementary School Options & Transfers Application Timeline|
|Application Window: OPEN||Feb. 3 – April 15, 2020|
|Lottery||April 23, 2020|
|Lottery Notification||May 1, 2020|
|Accept/Decline||May 15, 2020|
General Elementary School Options & Transfers Application Information for School Year 2020-21
- Option Schools: Arlington Traditional, Campbell, Claremont, Montessori Public School of Arlington, and Key.
- Neighborhood Transfers: APS is unable to offer elementary neighborhood transfers for the 2020-21 school year. However, families that would like to request their child attend an elementary school other than their neighborhood elementary school can request an administrative transfer (appeals process).
- Information Night: Watch the Kindergarten Information Night video or view the PowerPoint presentation. In addition, each elementary school offers a school-based information session for families.
- Waitlists: The waitlist for elementary option schools is maintained year-round, and families will be notified if they are on the waitlist and a seat becomes available. All waitlists reset when the options and transfers period begins each year, so families must reapply if they are still interested in attending a school or program they applied to previously.
- Sibling Preference: Siblings who will be concurrently enrolled at the same elementary school will receive priority in admission.
- Transportation: Transportation is available for students attending option schools/programs. However, bus stops may be centralized and a longer distance from a student’s residence. Transportation is not provided for neighborhood or administrative transfers.
- Appeals: Families with students placed on a waitlist can file an appeal for an administrative transfer under the appeals process. Approval under the appeals process occurs after the lottery and the timeline to accept or decline options and transfers offers.
- TO APPLY: Submit an Elementary Option School Application through the online application portal.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or email@example.com.