Applying to Option Schools / Programs: Interested families must complete an online application and submit all required documents by Friday, Jan. 13, 2023, at 4 p.m.
- Learn about the difference between applying for an option school and registering for a neighborhood school.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Review the Secondary Options and Transfers FAQs.
For questions or assistance, call 703-228-8000 (option 3), email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the APS Welcome Center at 2110 Washington Blvd for in-person support.
|Option Schools/Programs – Application Timeline for School Year 2023-24|
|Application window: OPEN||Nov. 7, 2022 – Jan. 13, 2023 at 4 p.m.|
|Lottery* (online)||Jan. 23, 2023, 1 p.m.|
|Families receive lottery results||Jan. 30, 2023 after 4 p.m.|
|Deadline to accept/decline||Feb. 13, 2023 by 11:59 p.m.|
|Neighborhood Transfers – Application Timeline for School Year 2023-24|
|Application window:||Feb. 20 – March 3, 2023 at 4 p.m.|
|Lottery* (online)||March 17, 2023, 1 p.m.|
|Families receive lottery results||March 24, 2023 after 4 p.m.|
|Deadline to accept/decline||March 31, 2023 by 11:59 p.m.|
*Families do NOT receive lottery results on the day of the automated lottery. Families are notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlist by email and/or text by 4 p.m. on the date in the application timeline.
- Dual Language (English and Spanish) Immersion Program at Gunston
- Montessori Middle Years Program at Gunston
- H-B Woodlawn (Grades 6-8)
Attend an Information Session: Each middle school will offer an in-person and/or virtual information session for families. See the schedule.
Watch Virtual Middle School Information Night!
- Families of students entering middle school in the fall of 2023 will learn about the transition to middle school, core classes, electives, and extracurriculars.
- Families interested in option schools/programs or neighborhood transfers will learn about the application and lottery process.
Lottery: If more applications are received than there are seats available, APS will conduct a random, double-blind lottery to determine admission.
- The 2023-24 school-year lotteries for middle and high school option schools will be held on Monday, Jan. 23, 2023, at 1 p.m. View a recording of last year’s automated lottery process.
- Families DO NOT receive lottery results on the day of the automated lottery.
- Families will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlist by email and/or text on Jan 30, 2023, after 4 p.m.
- Families must confirm or decline attendance to the school or program by February 13, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
- If families do not accept or decline their seat by the deadline, their seat will be given to the next student on the waitlist.
- If families apply to more than one school/program, their application will go into all lotteries simultaneously.
Waitlists: Students who applied, but were not selected through the lottery process, will be placed in numerical order on a waitlist.
- Applications received after the deadline are placed at the bottom of the existing waitlist for the upcoming school year.
- When students on the waitlist are offered a seat, they have a one-week window to accept the slot. If the slot is not accepted within the one-week window, the offer will be rescinded and offered to the next student on the waitlist.
- Waitlists for neighborhood transfers will be maintained by the APS Welcome Center until May 1.
- Option seats are continuously filled throughout the school year as seats become available.
Sibling Preference: Sibling preference is not currently offered at the middle school level.
Transportation: Transportation is available for students attending option schools/programs who live outside their school’s walk zone (View school bus eligibility maps).
- All transportation for option school and programs is provided via hub stops. Hub stops are central locations—such as a community center or school—where students from several neighborhoods meet to catch the bus to their school and may be a longer distance from a student’s residence. Learn more.
- Transportation is not provided for neighborhood transfers or administrative placements.
Neighborhood Transfers: A decision regarding transfers for the 2023-24, if any, school year will be announced in February 2023 after the January enrollment update to the Superintendent and the School Board. Learn more.