|Option Schools/Programs – Application Timeline for School Year 2023-24|
|Primary Application window: CLOSED||Nov. 7, 2022 – Jan. 13, 2023 at 4 p.m.|
|Lottery* (online)||Jan. 23, 2023, 1 p.m.|
|Families receive lottery results||Jan. 30, 2023 after 4 p.m.|
|Deadline to accept/decline||Feb. 13, 2023 by 11:59 p.m.|
|Late Application window: OPEN||Accepting late applications for specific grades/programs until April 17.|
|Neighborhood and Targeted Transfers – Application Timeline for School Year 2023-24|
|Application window: CLOSED||Feb. 20 – March 10, 2023 at 4 p.m.|
|Lottery*||March 17, 2023, 1 p.m.|
|Families receive lottery results||March 24, 2023 after 4 p.m.|
|Deadline to accept/decline||May 27, 2023 by 11:59 p.m.|
*Families do NOT receive lottery results on the day of the automated lottery. Families are notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlist by email and/or text after 4 p.m. on the date in the application timeline.
- Dual Language (English and Spanish) Immersion Program at Gunston
- Montessori Middle Years Program at Gunston
- H-B Woodlawn (Grades 6-8)
Learn more about each school/program.
Attend an Information Session: Each middle school will offer an in-person and/or virtual information session for families. See the schedule.
Watch Virtual Middle School Information Night!
- Families of students entering middle school in the fall of 2023 will learn about the transition to middle school, core classes, electives, and extracurriculars.
- Families interested in option schools/programs or neighborhood transfers will learn about the application and lottery process.
Alert: Please see schedule for updated middle school in-person information session dates.
Option Schools – Lottery: If more applications are received than there are seats available, APS will conduct a random, double-blind lottery to determine admission.
- The 2023-24 school-year lotteries for middle and high school option schools were held on Monday, Jan. 23, 2023, at 1 p.m.
- Families DO NOT receive lottery results on the day of the automated lottery.
- Families will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlist by email and/or text on Jan 30, 2023, after 4 p.m.
- Families must confirm or decline attendance to the school or program by February 13, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
- If families do not accept or decline their seat by the deadline, their seat will be given to the next student on the waitlist.
- If families apply to more than one school/program, their application will go into all lotteries simultaneously.
Waitlists: Students who applied, but were not selected through the lottery process, will be placed in numerical order on a waitlist.
- Applications received after the deadline are placed at the bottom of the existing waitlist for the upcoming school year.
- When students on the waitlist are offered a seat, they have a one-week window to accept the slot. If the slot is not accepted within the one-week window, the offer will be rescinded and offered to the next student on the waitlist.
- Option seats are continuously filled throughout the school year as seats become available.
Sibling Preference: Sibling preference is not currently offered at the middle school level.
Transportation: Transportation is available for students attending option schools/programs who live outside their school’s walk zone (View school bus eligibility maps).
- All transportation for option school and programs is provided via hub stops. Hub stops are central locations—such as a community center or school—where students from several neighborhoods meet to catch the bus to their school and may be a longer distance from a student’s residence. Learn more.
- Transportation is not provided for neighborhood transfers or administrative placements.
For questions or assistance, call 703-228-8000 (option 3), email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the APS Welcome Center at 2110 Washington Blvd for in-person support.