Middle School Information Night was held on Oct. 28, 2019, where families learned about the middle school transition process and the neighborhood and option schools application timelines for the 2020-21 school year. Watch the Middle School Information Night video or view the PowerPoint presentation.
General Middle School Options & Transfers Application Information for School Year 2020-21
|Option Middle Schools & Programs Application Timeline|
|Application Window: CLOSED||Nov. 4, 2019 – Jan. 17, 2020|
|Lottery||Jan. 29, 2020|
|Lottery Notification||Feb. 7, 2020|
|Accept/Decline||Feb. 21, 2020|
|Middle School Neighborhood Transfers Application Timeline|
|Application Window: OPEN||Feb. 24, 2020 – March 16, 2020|
|Lottery||March 23, 2020|
|Lottery Notification||March 30, 2020|
|Accept/Decline||April 10, 2020|
- Option Schools/Programs: Spanish Immersion Program at Gunston, Montessori Middle Years Program at Gunston, and H-B Woodlawn (Grades 6-8).
- Neighborhood Transfers: The application period to apply for a neighborhood middle school transfers will open on Feb. 24, 2020. Information about middle school transfers for the 2020-21 school year is available on the Middle School Requesting a Transfer webpage. Families that would like to request their child attend a middle school other than their neighborhood middle school can request an administrative transfer (appeals process) after first applying for a neighborhood transfer.
- Information Night: Watch the Middle School Information Night video or view the PowerPoint presentation. In addition, each middle school offers a school-based information session for families.
- Waitlists: Middle school neighborhood transfer waitlists will be maintained by the APS Welcome Center until May 1, 2019. Options seats are continuously filled throughout the school year as seats become available. Families will be notified if they are on the waitlist and a seat becomes available. If families do not accept or decline a seat by the deadline, the available seat is given to the next student on the waitlist. All waitlists reset when the options and transfers period begins each year, so families must reapply if they are still interested in attending a school or program they applied to previously.
- Sibling Preference: Sibling preference is not currently offered at the middle school level.
- Transportation: Transportation is available for students attending option schools/programs. However, bus stops may be centralized and a longer distance from a student’s residence. Transportation is not provided for neighborhood or administrative transfers. See additional information here regarding Kenmore and Jefferson transfers: https://www.apsva.us/transportation-services/bus-transportation.
- Appeals: Families with students placed on a waitlist can file an appeal for an administrative transfer under the appeals process. Approval under the appeals process occurs after the lottery and the timeline to accept or decline options and transfers offers.
- To Apply: Apply for middle school options and transfers through the online application portal.
Additional information on middle school options and transfers is available on the Middle School Options and Transfers page.
Secondary lottery information for SY 2020-21 for students who received an offer through the secondary lottery for an option school/program or neighborhood transfer.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.