Virtual Middle School Information Night is on Monday, Oct. 25, 2021 at 7 p.m. Families will be able to watch the event on Livestream. Families unable to watch the event live will be able to view the recording after the event.
Families of students entering middle school in the fall of 2022 will hear an overview about APS middle schools, school options, application deadlines and procedures, school-based information sessions, available student resources, and more. The link to the updated Middle School Guidebook for Families will also be shared with families the night of the event.
General Middle School Options & Transfers Application Information for School Year 2022-23
|Option Middle Schools & Programs Application Timeline|
|Application Window:||Nov. 1, 2021 at 10 p.m. – Jan. 21, 2022 at 4 p.m.|
|Lottery||Jan. 31, 2022, 12 – 4 p.m.|
|Lottery Notification||Feb. 7, 2022 after 4 p.m.|
|Accept/Decline||Feb. 21, 2022 by 11:59 p.m.|
|Middle School Neighborhood Transfers Application Timeline|
|Application Window:||Feb. 21, 2022 – March 11, 2022|
|Lottery||March 18, 2022, 1 – 3 p.m.|
|Lottery Notification||March 25, 2022 after 4 p.m.|
|Accept/Decline||April 8, 2022|
- Option Schools/Programs: Spanish Immersion Program at Gunston, Montessori Middle Years Program at Gunston, and H-B Woodlawn (Grades 6-8).
- Neighborhood Transfers: The application period to apply for a neighborhood middle school transfer will open on Feb. 21, 2022. Information about middle school transfers for the 2022-23 school year is available on the Middle School Requesting a Transfer webpage.
- Information Night: Virtual Middle School Information Night is on Monday, Oct. 25, 2021 at 7 p.m. Families will be able to watch the event on Livestream. In addition, each middle school offers a school-based information session for families.
- Waitlists: Middle school neighborhood transfer waitlists will be maintained by the APS Welcome Center until May 2, 2022. Options seats are continuously filled throughout the school year as seats become available. Families will be notified if they are on the waitlist and a seat becomes available. If families do not accept or decline a seat by the deadline, the available seat is given to the next student on the waitlist. All waitlists reset when the options and transfers period begins each year, so families must reapply if they are still interested in attending a school or program they applied to previously.
- Sibling Preference: Sibling preference is not currently offered at the middle school level.
- Transportation: Transportation is available for students attending option schools/programs who live outside their school’s walk zone (View school bus eligibility maps). All transportation for option school and programs is provided via hub stops. Hub stops are central locations—such as a community center or school—where students from several neighborhoods meet to catch the bus to their school and may be a longer distance from a student’s residence. Transportation is not provided for neighborhood transfers or administrative placements. Select here to learn more about transportation for option schools.
- FAQs: Families should review the Secondary Options and Transfers FAQs for answers to questions frequently received about the options and transfers process.
- Lottery Information: The 2022-23 school year lotteries for the middle and high school option programs will be on Monday, Jan. 31, 2022 from 12 – 4 p.m.
- To Apply: Apply for an option middle school or program through the online application portal.
For additional information or questions, please contact the APS Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or email@example.com.